August 2012 Weddings
Options

Invite color dilemma :(

Hi Ladies,

I have a problem with invites that I did not foresee. My sister/MOH was going to print the invitation herself using a inkjet printer on card stock. My wedding colors are pink and black, and I really like the look of black paper with white wording, our names in pink, and then a pink design in the background. My sister created some great designs, but when we print, the printer doesn't recognize white lettering, and even the pink doesn't look pink. :( I did research online, and it doesn't look like there's a solution. I'm still looking, but I'm pretty bummed... .any ideas? I'm on a really tight budget, and have just started researching sites that you can order from. Anyone have any advice or care to share prices they've been quoted? Any help/ advice is much appreciated!
Wedding Countdown Ticker
image230 Invited
image180Accepted
image50 Declined
image0 Undecided
RSVP Date: July 25, 2012

Re: Invite color dilemma :(

• Options
    well i just used davids brial 130 for invites and rsvp cards
  • Options
    You may want to call around to some local printing places. We were quoted 75 invites with 3 inserts for $42. That is much cheaper than it would have cost me to print them at home because the ink for my printer is so expensive. Many places will print on whatever paper you have and they may be able to do the pink/white ink color.
  • Options
    I agree with calling around to some printing places to see if they can finish the job you guys already put some work into.  I don't have any invite prices yet, I think we're working on that soon.
    8/12 March Siggy- reception venue!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Take a couple minutes to check out Vistaprint, you can find a similar design to what you already have, and I think you can upload your own design as well.  What's nice is that there are a ton of coupons you can find online for 50% off, free shipping, etc., and living social usually has deals for $10 toward a $50 certificate.  Also check out the Invites and Paper board on here, they ladies there have a TON of great ideas, things I would never think of myself.
  • Options
    I fully agree with local print shops.  I'm a graphic designer, and I always recommend that people go to a local Mom & Pop print shop for the best deal and best quality.

You can't print white lettering at home - your printer can print color around the white (absence of ink where the white lettering is), but it will always leave white border for approximately 1/4" around the page.  If you use a local print shop, they'll do what's called "bleed" meaning they'll print the page bigger than you need it, and crop it to the right size so the color and design goes to the very edge.

I find Vistaprint does some things okay, but nothing great.  And they aren't usually cheaper than local places when you factor in shipping.  Plus with local places, you can do a test run usually before you print everything, which will all you to make changes before you finalize it.

Anniversary

• Options
    Thanks for the great advice ladies! I am definitely going to call around this week
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image230 Invited
    image180Accepted
    image50 Declined
    image0 Undecided
    RSVP Date: July 25, 2012
  • Options
    I have used VistaPrint for my STDs and now my invites, my FI has had business cards made there and everything so far (haven't seen the invites yet, just ordered) has looked really good!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards