Florida-North Florida

Destin wedding date pros and cons - Labor Day 2011

What are some pros and cons for a Labor Day destination wedding in Sandestin, FL?
(Labor Day this year is on Monday, September 5)

Re: Destin wedding date pros and cons - Labor Day 2011

• cbabercbaber member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am getting married in Destin this Labor Day weekend. September 4 is my date.

PROS - The reasons I chose this weekend are:
     1) Since I am having a DW, I wanted people to have more than just Saturday and Sunday to enjoy the weekend - without having to take off from work.
    2) Schools close for kids on Labor Day - no conflict for families with children
    3) September is the beginning of the low season for Destin - cheaper rates and less crowded beaches
    4) The weather in Destin in September is FAN-frikkin-TASTIC! - water is usually around 80 degrees or warmer. Like swimming in a huge bathtub.
    5) Sugar white beaches and the Gulf of Mexico - uh, duh . . need I say more?? (lol)

CONS - Obstacles I have faced in planning my wedding so far:
    1) Hotels also know this is the last weekend of summer and some refused to secure a block of rooms for me. However, I found one finally and got an awesome deal of $89/per night.
    2) Weather in Destin can be tricky this time of year - short rain showers in the evening are not uncommon. Make sure you have a back-up plan for rain! (then pray it doesnt. LOL)
    3) Walton County is going thru a lot of weird stuff right now with regard to rental houses in the area being used for beach weddings. There is a hearing on March 22 to decide if beach house weddings will be banned. Be sure to stay on top of that issue if you decide to use the house you rent for anything but sleeping.
    4) A big part of Destin tourism comes from weddings. I found many of the vendors I contacted to be a bit impersonable and unwilling to negotiate. Maybe because they do so many weddings -- maybe it is just more of a job for them . .  they arent "excited" like I want them to be. I am planning my wedding from Atlanta without meeting these people face to face . . they have the ability to make my wedding great or to royally screw things up . . I really took my time and selected vendors who were very fast in email correspondance, quick to pick up the phone, and were generally nice and enthusiastic. The result was that I found (who I hope are) some really great vendors. As it turns out, almost all of them are relatively new to the wedding business. All have an established portfolio but havent been doing it long enough to be jaded  . . 

If you want me to share who I selected to work with or want any additional info . . I would be happy to share. Just let me know.
    HTH

• edited December 2011
    I had planned on having my destination wedding on labor day weekend (we are getting married in St. Augustine). My thought was that kids would be out of school so it would be easier for families to travel. Well after running it by some of my aunts/uncles, most of them said they didn't think they'd be able to make it b/c A) 3 day weekend was not enough time to travel so far (Cincinnati to FL), and B) Some of the schools don't start back until right after labor day and they couldn't be out of town the weekend before school starts.
    So just to give you a heads up, run it by friends family and make sure the timing is ok. Picking a date was a bit trickier than I anticipated! But now I couldn't be happier with out June wedding date! Cool

Best of luck to you!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    So what is the verdict on banning beach weddings in Walton county at the houses? Have you heard anything?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Good afternoon!

Just as a heads up, from a local, Labor Day weekend will be beauitful for your wedding but that weekend is our last kickoff to the summer season. People who don't come here during summer for their vacation, do it Labor Day weekend!! In no way am I tring to discourage you, I live here and most likely will get married here, but I find for people who are not use to the area, it does get congested!! Look for places that are near the Destin Bridge (ex.Emerald Grande, Harbor Docks,etc) or go all the way out to 30-A or Santa Rosa Beach (lots of rental homes out that way)!

Best of luck!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards