Moms and Maids

Major Mom Trouble...

Hello. I have been engaged since March. I love my fiance very much. We haven't started "officially" planning yet because my sister is home for awhile and my parents are planning to help her move across the country to grad school, and then my mom is going to help me. I am out of my Freshman year of college, and I'm not going back next year (I'm going to a cosmetology school near my hometown), so my fiance and I are staying here for the summer. Fiance is looking for an apartment, and my parents are fine with me staying for the year it takes me to complete my program. The thing is, my mom and I have a strange relationship. She is an alcoholic, and only my immediate family really knows. About 2-6 times a week she gets so drunk and just comes into my room and just stands there and insults me and my sister and says that we think we're better than everyone, and calls us bitches, and sometimes even brings my fiance into it. She is rude and doens't listen because she is so impaired. Her comments are hurtful. She just told me and my sisters (we are both engaged) not to invite her to our weddings. I can't even explain this. It's so confusing, because when she is sober we have a pretty normal mother-daughter relationship. I mean, we fight sometimes, but who doesn't? But this drunken fighting isn't normal. It hurts me. I try to just brush it off as drunkeness, and it doesn't mean anything, but it does. I don't even know what to do about wedding stuff. It's over a year away and I'm so stressed about how she will manage to ruin it. It's been like this for years. I don't know how I've managed to put up with it for all these years. She does many wonderful things for me, like helping pay for school, and all the things she's done through high school and before. I've tried to tell her to get help, but she doesn't want it, doesn't listen. My father doesn't do anything. He gets too stressed out and just goes to bed when mom starts in. I can't even explain how deep she manages to hurt me and my sister. She sends so many mixed signals. She says she loves me, but the next minute she says I'm a horrible bitch and to go to hell. This isn't even about wedding stuff entirely, although I am worried about how she will affect it, but I just wanted to open up about my troubles, because it's hurting the people that are most important to me, my fiance and my sister. If anyone has any experience with alcoholic family members and can relate and we can help each other get through things, send a message if you don't want to talk publicly. I hate my mom's addiction. It makes me a wreck. :( Thanks for listening.

Re: Major Mom Trouble...

• edited December 2011
    Go to Al Annon.  I have no experience with this sort of situation, but I do know this group is there to help people in exactly your situation.  
  • kbsmom1kbsmom1 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Maybe it would be beneficial for you to attend Al Anon....if Im thinking corectly ...its for family members of the alcoholic......helping you deal with the issues, ect.  Prayers for you and your family.
  • bstentbstent member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry you have to deal with that. I don't have personal experience with a family member with addiction but I have worked with many people with addictions. Your mom won't be able to get help until she is ready to accept it and make the change for herself. As much as you want to change her or help her through this, it really is something she needs to decide for herself. Addiction is an ugly, ugly disease, and when she says those awful things I hope you know that it is the alcohol speaking, not her. Not that I'm excusing her behaviour as "alcohol made her do it", because it's still unacceptable.
    I agree with previous posters that attending Al-Anon would be helpful. I have never been to a meeting but in my training I did attend an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting as a guest (they were aware I was a nursing student and that I was not an alcoholic, we were invited to attend for learning purposes) and it was the most incredible, eye-opening experience of my life in terms of learning about addiction. I assume Al-Anon will be a similar environment and would possibly be a great support for you.
    As for right now, you have to remember that your health (and the health of your sister and FI) need to take priority. Is there any possibility you could move out of your mom's house? That way you could still spend time with her but once she starts drinking or becoming verbally abusive you could remove yourself from the situation. I know that may not be a financial possibility but it might be worth considering. You could also try to convince your dad to attend meetings with you, because he is probably struggling with a lot of things, even if he doesn't show it.
    Again I'm so sorry for the very difficult and sad time you're experiencing. I hope I helped at least a little
  • edited December 2011
    Please know that you are not alone. Many of us have alcoholic family members or friends. I'm sorry that you are having a difficult time coping with your mom's illness.

Try an alanon meeting. You can bring your fi and you sister with you; you don't have to go alone. You'll be welcomed by a supportive group of people with similar circumstances to your own. And it's free. You can find a meeting calendar here:

indiana-al-anon.org

If there is any way possible for you and your fi to move into your own place, that's what I would recommend. Once your sister leaves for grad school, you and your dad will be the only targets left for your mom's anger.

If you are concerned about your mom ruining your wedding, you should limit her involvement with the planning. Think about the kind of wedding you really want, how much you and fi can afford to spend and plan accordingly.

Best wishes.

• kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Alcoholism is rampant in my immediate family and I know exactly where you are coming from.

Go to Al-anon and take your sister with you.  Your father needs to do this too but he is also part of the problem here.  He is enabling your mother by ignoring her behavior and not stepping in where you girls are concerned.  He needs help too but you have to take care of you right now.

Start with Al-anon and get with people who are in your shoes.  Those who have been attending longer can help you, listen to you, and you can see what they have had to do.

Don't be her enabler.  Get to the meetings and get help.  I wish you the very best of luck.
  • rouquine25rouquine25 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the supportive words. Getting some kind of counseling would be great. I just wish my mom would admit that she had a problem, and I wish she was willing to talk to my family about it. It would be so hard to get her to go to a meeting, but I will try. If anyone has any advice about how to bring up the conversation with her, that would be great. Thanks again everyone. This is a rough time. I'm also working on moving out with my fi, too. We're going to look at apartments tomorrow.
  • grcrociogrcrocio member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am so sorry to hear this. Unfortunately you are not alone and there are thousands of people that have to go through this every day. My prayers are with you and your family. The first step is for her to admit she has a problem. I am not sure how close your family is but try to schedule a family meeting before your sister leaves. Do not use the "you did” approach instead tell her how you feel when she calls you all of those names. My best friend has the same problem with her mother. When she would bring up this issue her mother would try to downside it. So she recorded her on webcam and showed her once she was sober and this helped her admit that she had a problem. I do hope all of this works out with your mother.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_major-mom-trouble?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:a1c7dc37-5dbc-4e46-8492-c47cfb07388aPost:0499e87c-62ce-4078-b73e-24fba790530c">Re: Major Mom Trouble...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the supportive words. Getting some kind of counseling would be great. I just wish my mom would admit that she had a problem, and I wish she was willing to talk to my family about it. It would be so hard to get her to go to a meeting, but I will try. If anyone has any advice about how to bring up the conversation with her, that would be great. Thanks again everyone. This is a rough time. I'm also working on moving out with my fi, too. We're going to look at apartments tomorrow.
    Posted by rouquine25[/QUOTE]

<div>hi rouquine-</div><div>pp's have great advice re: al anon.  and i'm so sorry you're going through this.  sounds like your FI is supportive.</div><div>
    </div><div>i would advise you go to an al anon meeting by yourself or with your sister/FI BEFORE you bring any of this up to your mom.  (like, tomorrow!)  the reason is: you CAN'T control if she'll admit she has a problem, or if she'll go to a meeting.  you also can't predict which "mom" you'll be talking to - is it the mom who will be able to open to what you're saying, or the mom who will get mad and verbally abusive towards you?  i would just hate to see you get discouraged right off the bat.</div><div>
    </div><div>the only things you CAN control are how you educate/prepare yourself, and the boundaries you set with her while you encourage her to seek help.  al anon WILL help you set those boundaries so that you can confront her.  in the long run that helps your mom just as much as it helps you.</div><div>
    </div><div>also - not to be bossy but are you doing premarital counseling with your FI?  i can just say from experience that when you grow up with parents who have addiction or abuse issues, it can really color your own relationships in ways you don't even see.  once you deal with the immediate issue of getting yourself safe and settled, i would definitely advise at least thinking about it.....</div><div>
    </div><div>i'm sorry OP. :(  let us know how it goes.</div>
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    edited December 2011
    Al-anon is NOT for your mother it is for those around her that she hurts with her drinking.  Alcoholics Anonymous is totally separate.  Don't worry about trying to get her to a meeting because she won't go.  YOU go to al-anon and get help for you.  I wish you the best.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_major-mom-trouble?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:a1c7dc37-5dbc-4e46-8492-c47cfb07388aPost:92530db6-c44c-4edd-aff5-82f6b251cee3">Major Mom Trouble...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello. I have been engaged since March. I love my fiance very much. We haven't started "officially" planning yet because my sister is home for awhile and my parents are planning to help her move across the country to grad school, and then my mom is going to help me. I am out of my Freshman year of college, and I'm not going back next year (I'm going to a cosmetology school near my hometown), so my fiance and I are staying here for the summer. <strong>Fiance is looking for an apartment, and my parents are fine with me staying for the year it takes me to complete my program.</strong> The thing is, my mom and I have a strange relationship. She is an alcoholic, and only my immediate family really knows. About 2-6 times a week she gets so drunk and just comes into my room and just stands there and insults me and my sister and says that we think we're better than everyone, and calls us bitches, and sometimes even brings my fiance into it. She is rude and doens't listen because she is so impaired. Her comments are hurtful. She just told me and my sisters (we are both engaged) not to invite her to our weddings. I can't even explain this. It's so confusing, because when she is sober we have a pretty normal mother-daughter relationship. I mean, we fight sometimes, but who doesn't? But this drunken fighting isn't normal. It hurts me. I try to just brush it off as drunkeness, and it doesn't mean anything, but it does. I don't even know what to do about wedding stuff. It's over a year away and I'm so stressed about how she will manage to ruin it. It's been like this for years. I don't know how I've managed to put up with it for all these years. She does many wonderful things for me, like helping pay for school, and all the things she's done through high school and before. I've tried to tell her to get help, but she doesn't want it, doesn't listen. My father doesn't do anything. He gets too stressed out and just goes to bed when mom starts in. I can't even explain how deep she manages to hurt me and my sister. She sends so many mixed signals. She says she loves me, but the next minute she says I'm a horrible bitch and to go to hell. This isn't even about wedding stuff entirely, although I am worried about how she will affect it, but I just wanted to open up about my troubles, because it's hurting the people that are most important to me, my fiance and my sister. <strong>If anyone has any experience with alcoholic family members and can relate and we can help each other get through things</strong>, send a message if you don't want to talk publicly. I hate my mom's addiction. It makes me a wreck. :( Thanks for listening.
    Posted by rouquine25[/QUOTE]

I don't have experience with this at all.  I'm sorry you're dealing with this.  If you're worried about her alcoholism ruining the wedding and its planning, I would try not to involve her in the planning.  Save up and pay for the wedding yourselves.  Politely decline her money and plan the wedding without her input. 

You mentioned that FI is looking for an apartment.  Is moving in with him an option?  Not that running away from your mother's alcoholism is the answer, but at least she can't come into your room and verbally abuse you like she has been. 

I'll second the opinion on joining a group for family members of alcoholics/addicts.  It may help you cope with her addiction if she isn't willing to get the help that she needs.

GL!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here's an update....

I talked to my mom while she was sober. I used "I messages" like "I feel hurt when you say mean things to me and my sister," etc. She seemed remorseful. She said she didn't want to ruin our family. Ultimately, she admitted she had a problem, and she recognizes that she needs some kind of help. I told her that she can open up to me anytime when she is feeling stressed. When I talked to her, she was being reasonable, not trying to be defensive, but she said she is really stressed out. I know for sure that she loves my family, but her addiction is out of control and hurts us all. Thanks for your prayers, because I think with love and support from my family we can help her through this. We should not have ignored the problem so long. And I might go to an Al-Anon meeting in my town this week to find out how I can continue to help her. Thank you all again for knowing I don't have to go through this tough situation alone. :)
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    edited December 2011
    Retread is on the money.  You don't realize it now, but your last post is that of a classic enabler.  You can't help her, stress is no excuse, and you can't fix her or help her through any kind of rehab.

Get to that al-anon meeting this week.  Like I said, you don't realize it yet, but everything you just posted are the things that will prevent your mother from truly admitting her disease and getting help.  She now has your sympathy so she just bought herself some time.  Go to that meeting asap.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Actually, I thought it was pretty good progress seeing as she had never really admitted that she had a problem. I'm not trying to be her enabler. It's really discouraging that people are getting down on me so hard when I'm new to this whole help cycle. If my family can't help her, then how is me going to an Al-Anon meeting going to help her? :s It doesn't really seem to directly benefit her. Sorry if I seem like I'm being rude, but that's how I felt about the last two posts. I don't completely understand an addiction, but if I don't try to help and support my mom, how are things going to get better? :'(
  • edited December 2011
    I'm glad things went well when you talked to your mom.  It will be a slow process but hopefully over time your mom will be willing to get help.  Good luck - thoughts and prayers are coming your way!
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    edited December 2011

Please know that my posts weren't meant to be harsh and rude, but when I saw them it was like looking in a mirror.  It took me years to get to the point of not being an enabler - I didn't even know what that was!  If my posts sounded rude or harsh it was because I was so close to this a few times in my life and what is needed is tough to do and harsh on its own.  My apologies.

I have been told so many times, "I know I have a problem", "my life is very stressful", and many more things.  Everytime I bought into it, it was a ploy by the alcoholic/addict to garner sympathy.  Every single time.

You said you don't know much about this yet, and that is to be expected.  That is why it is so important for you to get to an al-anon meeting asap.  I just cringe thinking that you have to walk down this road.  I'm sending much support and hope you attend a meeting soon.  There is absolutely nothing you can do to help your mom - it is all up to her and she has to do it.  I know how much that hurts.

Good luck

• kmmssgkmmssg mod
    edited December 2011
    I forgot to answer your question in my last post.  You going to an al-anon meeting doesn't help her at all.  It helps you.  al-anon is for families and loved ones who have to deal with the alcoholic/addict.  Alcoholics Anonymous is for them.

How will this benefit her?  In the long run it will.  Until you realize that you have to not put up with her behavior and your family does the same, she won't get help.

Did you ever see the show about interventions between families and their alcoholic/addict?  I can't remember the name right now, but they all offered support, help, etc and it does no good.  They had to do interventions where the choice was go to rehab or we are gone. 

I know you aren't there right now, but you asked how those meetings would help her and that was the Cliff Notes.

Again, I wish you luck.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_major-mom-trouble?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:a1c7dc37-5dbc-4e46-8492-c47cfb07388aPost:014a74f6-97a8-4b16-9cf0-4ffa8b36af55">Re: Major Mom Trouble...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Please know that my posts weren't meant to be harsh and rude, but when I saw them it was like looking in a mirror.  It took me years to get to the point of not being an enabler - I didn't even know what that was!  If my posts sounded rude or harsh it was because I was so close to this a few times in my life and what is needed is tough to do and harsh on its own.  My apologies. I have been told so many times, "I know I have a problem", "my life is very stressful", and many more things.  Everytime I bought into it, it was a ploy by the alcoholic/addict to garner sympathy.  Every single time. You said you don't know much about this yet, and that is to be expected.  That is why it is so important for you to get to an al-anon meeting asap.  I just cringe thinking that you have to walk down this road.  I'm sending much support and hope you attend a meeting soon.  There is absolutely nothing you can do to help your mom - it is all up to her and she has to do it.  I know how much that hurts. Good luck
    Posted by kmmssg[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for answering my questions. I know you weren't trying to be rude...I guess I'm just really frustrated because I feel like I can't personally do anything myself to help her. And that hurts, because even though her addiction makes her into a horrible person a lot of the time, I still love her very much. But you are right. I don't have to put up with it. I hope that by me taking a stand and trying to move out, that she will realize this and try to get some serious help. I'm sorry you had to go through this too. Basically, it just sucks. Thanks for all your help, and I hope things are going well for you, too. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers everyone, too. I'll try my best not to be her enabler!
  • edited December 2011
    i only know a limited amount about dealing with alcoholism first hand...i know what it's done to my friend's father and i very well know that someone who is rational and mind-ful sober can turn into a scary hurtful monster when drunk. i guess the thing that has helped my friend is keeping in mind that his dad's alcoholism is a disease. when he says horrible things it is his disease talking, not his actual father. that being said, though, it does not excuse everything someone does while drunk. al anon helps my friend a lot in coping with his dad. i hope your mom can get the help she needs and i pray you and your family can find a way through all of this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards