Just Engaged and Proposals

Blessing of Rings --Outside of Marriage Ceremony

Hello,

I am recently engaged and wish to have what I am calling a Blessing of the Rings Ceremony.  This is not an engagement party and it is not the wedding.  I envision this a ceremony where a faith leader will bless the rings and us, the newly engaged couple.  I am not familiar with this kind of ceremony but this is something that we wanted to do especially since we will be engaged for more than one year.  Any experience and/or suggestions for making this a special ceremony is very much appreciated.  

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Re: Blessing of Rings --Outside of Marriage Ceremony

• redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Well, i would speak with your faith leader and ask what he/she is comfortable with.

I have not heard of blessing of the rings (for engagement), but I have heard of handfasting as an engagement ritual; however, as it has pagan roots, many religious groups frown on it. So without knowing your religious affiliation, I'm not sure what you are comfortable with.

Are you thinking this would be private, just you, FI, and the religious leader? If you invite anyone else make sure those guests will be invited to the wedding. Plus, if you have guests, then you need to host food and drink for them.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • Does he have an engagement ring too? Or else there is just 1 ring.  Either was talk to your religious leader and see what is customary.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Is it possible that your 'faith leader' could just incorporate something into your normal weekly service?  I'm thinking about the time when they do prayers for people who are ill or announce new babies etc.  Having a special ceremony strikes me as strange, to be honest.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards