October 2012 Weddings

Social security- name change

I waited to change my name until after our honeymoon last week.  Today, I attempted to go to social security on my lunch hour to begin the process.

NYS social security is conveniently open from 9-3.  I only work about 5 minutes from my local office, but the cafeteria was running behind today so I dropped my class off late to lunch, then hit construction traffic, then didn't take the first parking spot I found and took an additional 5 minutes to loop around to take that first spot.

I get into the office and I only have about 25 minutes before I need to leave to head back to work.  There were 13 people ahead of me and only about 4 people were called while I waited.

I am going to try again tomorrow at lunch and if I can't get it done tomorrow, I will just mail in my stuff and change my name that way. 

I didn't think changing my name would be as frustrating as this is! 

Re: Social security- name change

• Can you call and make and appointment?  I remember when I was at my social security office it said something like "can't wait? Make an appoinment!"

Sorry it was so frustrating getting there. but once you sit down to do it, it takes about 5 minutes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I got there 20 minutes before they opened and it was packed... there wasn't an empty seat in the office. Fortunately, they move pretty fast so I was done in about an hour. Good luck!
    Just my two cents! Penny L G M
  • I am avoiding it like the plague since I am anticipating it being a huge pain!
    Anniversary
  • I was there for an hour and a half waiting until I was called if that makes you feel any better! It's just a really really slow process. 

SSA was an hour and a half, DMV was 2 hours. Just remember to wait 48 hours after the SSA to go to the DMV! The name change has to process through the system.

Good luck!
  • I hit the wrong button on the check-in machine, so I ended up not having to wait as long and do an interview.  Thankfully, the person at the counter was nice about it and just put it through for me.  The DMV was a total pain in the ass - especially since Illinois Secretary of State office doesn't have enough information on their website for anything.  So I get to go back (UGH!).
  • Thanks for the encouragement!  I saw the appointment sign and meant to call to make one when I got home from work.  The phone line hours begin at 7, maybe I'll call first thing in the morning and hope to get an appointment for my lunch hour (I like to think the world revolves around me and my schedule...)

EADenver thanks for the tip.  I didn't know there was a wait period for the change to take effect.  My mom is going to the DMV on Thursday to renew her license and I was hoping to go with her to have someone to wait with and share the parking meter cost, doesn't look like that will work out.  I may also just wait until I'm off for Christmas and go that week.
  • I still can't do mine because we still don't have our marriage license.  It takes upwards of 2 months in CA....but I definitely will be making an appointment

• I got my SS card and my new license in the same day.  Maybe it is different state by state.   All I brought with me was my current licence, my birth certificate and my  marriage licence.  One thing you might want to bring is your title so that you can chage that at the same time as well as your registration.  The clerk at the DMV said a lot of people forget about the title and registration.

Good luck, I hope your next attempt is an easy one. I also think the world should revolve around my schedule:)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am really lucky to have a fast SS office. I have changed my name 3 times in 5 years and never spent more than 20 minutes start to finish. Also in NY you can change your license before you change your name at SS. I have done it before.
    Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
    Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I am lazy and still haven't picked up my marriage certificate to start the name change process.  I was going to go today after my doctor appt but my appt ran longer and I needed to head to work.  

I'm really not looking forward to the process so I'm just going to put it off until after the new year.  Also, don't want to run into any issues with the IRS name change and filing taxes.  Pretty sure that once you change it with SS then they inform IRS so I should be ok, but don't want to cut it too close, so I'm just gonna wait.  The month of December is busy enough already.  I'm not in a rush to change my name right away.  I can wait another month or two.
    Married since October 14, 2012 - Best Day Ever! Wedding-2
  • Kimm, thanks for reminding me about my title and registration.  I printed out the forms and filled them out, but knowing me I'll probably forget the documents when I go to the DMV.

Cathy, thank for letting me know I can change my license before I change SS.  I may end up doing that. 

Attempt #2 at SS today at lunch.  It's supposed to be a rainy/snowy mix, so hopefully people stay home and I can get in!
  • Hey, I just realized that you are here in the HV.  What SS office are you going to?  I go to the one in Poughkeepsie.  It's about a block from where I work, (the DMV building).
    Anniversary imagemy read shelf:
    Cathy (CathyL7910)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • My weather theory was correct.  I checked in and my number was next to be called.  I was in and out in 20 minutes :)

Cathy, I live in Yonkers.  Going to Poughkeepsie isn't convenient for me, but everything up there is quicker than down here. 

Now onto the DMV to change my license!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_social-security-name-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:bf305266-276d-4336-a704-1421bf9fdd0fPost:dde1c385-159d-43d3-827b-1229e55d9210">Re: Social security- name change</a>:
    [QUOTE]I still can't do mine because we still don't have our marriage license.  It takes upwards of 2 months in CA....but I definitely will be making an appointment
    Posted by lwoehlk[/QUOTE]

Give them a call. They never notified us when ours was ready, DH called after three weeks to follow up (he's from uk and theirs are usually within 10-14 days and so was worried), and found out it was ready.
  • was there for 1hr 20mins before I got called. it went fast, but I found out 2 days later that they mispelled my name! Was on the phone for like an hour getting transferred around and then I found out that I had to go back to the office. 2nd wait wasn't as long but it still sucked. Doing it over the mail is probably easier. good luck!
    Wedding items for sale! Check out our website:

http://www.reyestoy.weebly.com

Photobucket

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards