Flowers
Options

Future MIL "Overwhelmed" By Flower Cost

So, my wedding is in 2 weeks... As if I don't have enough on my plate, my future MIL got the bill for her part of the flowers (they offered to pay for flowers and rehearsal dinner). She told my fiance she was "very overwhelmed" at the cost of the flowers and what could we do to decrease the cost. I have told her from the beginning to get together with my mom and discuss budget and what she was willing to spend, BUT she never contacted my mom! Well, I'm kinda "PO'd" that she didn't say anything before now.

I know we should have had more communication from the beginning about budget, but we are a little to late for that now. My future MIL and I get along great and I don't want this to cause any hard feelings between her and I, or our families...I'm not sure what to do!?!?!

Re: Future MIL "Overwhelmed" By Flower Cost

• Options
    crawford724crawford724 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A little more info - cost $800

1 bride bouquet
    1 throw-away bouquet
    4 groomsmen bout
    1 usher bout
    2 mom small bouquet
    2 dad bout
    3 grandmother corsages
    3 grandfather bout

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That sounds like a lot. Are you using out-of-season flowers? I had about the same number of flowers overall and we only paid $450.

Did you MIL give you a number that she was comfortable with before you made arrangements or just tell you to have at it? Can you go back and re-work the flowers to include something cheaper? I know our florist let us make changes up until the day before the wedding.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you having any BM bouquets?  I just didn't see them in the above.

You should ask your FMIL what she's comfortable with and you and your FI should make up the difference.  If you didn't have a discussion about budget then you really can't be "PO'd" about the situation.  Yes, you told her to talk to your mom but you should have made sure the conversation was had before finalizing your flowers.

Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm paying for my bridesmaid bouquets and finace's bout. We are using mango cala lilies and dahlias in my bouquet. And just the cala lilies in the bridesmaids. Hypernium berries for the bouts. Roses in the small bouquets.

I asked FMIL many times to talk about flowers, but this was just never worked out. And I told her if she ever had any questions, just to ask me or my mom. Yes, in retrospect we should have worked out a number with her. I will talk to the florist, hopefully we will be able to work something out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been getting ridiculous quotes from florists with the same flowers that you are using. Using my quotes, this would only cost me $540 at my max estimate. It does seem a little high for what you are getting but at 2 weeks out you are a little stuck.

I would offer to pay the difference of what she is comfortable with. Have your FI handle this. It is his mother.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Catwoman708Catwoman708 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So the $800 is for 4 bouquets, 10 bouts, and 3 corsages.

Yeah, it's a little high unless you are using expensive flowers.  I would think one of you would have mentioned the cost of the flowers before now.   At 2 weeks to go, you've probably already signed a contract with the florist, nad she might have already placed the order for your flowers, so it's a little late to try to trim the cost now.  Probably easier for FMIL to trim the cost of the rehearsal dinner, lol. 

If it is possible to trim flower costs, maybe ask the florist for suggestions on cheaper flowers in the same colors and similar look, or just use plain simple carnations for all the bouts, corsages, and smaller simpler mother's bouquets.

Or tell FMIL to just contribute what she had budgeted and don't worry about it, you'll cover the rest. 
  • Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    what kind of flowers are you using?  If they are inseason and not hard to get, this bill should be between $400-$450.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Give your FMIL my bill $3300.00 she'll have a heart attack with that one... Mine include centerpieces and church from another florist who is included in my package with out the centerpieces it came to just over $1000 so I don't think that's that bad
    RSVP: AUGUST 18,2010 image 256 Are Invited image 191 Are ready to Party!
    image 65 Will be missing out image 0 Where Are you? We can't wait Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    benmel31benmel31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    that does seem like a lot, but you are using unique flowers.  

the only thing I can suggest is to ask her how much she is willing to give towards flowers and you pay the difference.  it is not worth starting a riff between you and your FMIL 2 weeks before the wedding.
    Anniversary image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image TO image
    my to-read shelf:
    Mel O's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all of your replies. My FMIL called me the other day to say that my FI should not have told me about this...she apologized, I apologized, and we've worked it out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

My mom is paying for everything and i just send her the prices, and we pick from that. But i guess its a little late in the game for that. I agree with what benmel says. Even though it is more money you have to fork up, atleast the realtionship will be saved,

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards