Flowers

Can't stop looking at peonies!

I love peonies and am so drawn to them when I'm looking at inspiration boquets! However, I'm getting married in September and that is way outside of their season. I'm so bummed. Cabbage roses were suggested as an alternative, which I actually like. Anyone else out there find a good alternative that gives the same "fluffy" appeal of peonies?

Re: Can't stop looking at peonies!

• edited December 2011
    hi :)
    I am right there with ya! Doing a vintage inspired wedding in late august with our colors being pink and i LOVE peonies but they won't be available.

Anywho!

cosmos double bon bon are flufffy like peonies (we're gonna order seeds and grow them in my grandma's back yard, WAAAY cheaper)

Even mini carnations can have that feel, or regular sized carnations especially when bunched closely together in bouquets. and carnations are cheap!

Hope this helps :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Heres one more!

Peony Rose Pink Yves Piaget

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • StephieBowStephieBow member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing peonies in late August and my florist said it's not out of seaons/easy to get at that time of year.  Did your florist veto the idea?
    Anniversary image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• IrishcurlsIrishcurls member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She said by mid september she might be able to get them from Holland, but it would have to be a last minute addition, since she can't guarantee it. (And all I can think is $$$$)

Love the pink yves piaget--I've never even heard of that!!
  • edited December 2011

have you considered getting silk peonies?

www.fioribelli.com has some UH-MAZING lifelike stems of open and closed blossom peonies.

i ordered some for my wedding bouqet and it's just beautiful. 

Anniversary
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I really hadn't considered silk. I'm sure it's been asked somewhere, I can go look--but I worry about mixing silk and real. Though perhaps it would be better than no peonies at all??

ETA: I just checked out the link, unfortunately they don't have any all-cream "cupped" stems, which I am in love with, but the opened cream ones are gorgeous!!! I wonder how many I would need....2-3 for each of my BMs and a few more for me? I'm going to order some to check them out! Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_cant-stop-looking-peonies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:d1ae55cc-3beb-436a-949e-13337b459112Post:d9347699-569e-498e-8095-c2c21e501624">Re: Can't stop looking at peonies!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really hadn't considered silk. I'm sure it's been asked somewhere, I can go look--but I worry about mixing silk and real. Though perhaps it would be better than no peonies at all?? ETA: I just checked out the link, unfortunately they don't have any all-cream "cupped" stems, which I am in love with, but the opened cream ones are gorgeous!!! I wonder how many I would need....2-3 for each of my BMs and a few more for me? I'm going to order some to check them out! Thanks!
    Posted by Irishcurls[/QUOTE]

thats exactly what i ordered!  my wedding is in a few days so my bouquet is done......when i get home tnite, I'll send you some pics. 

i used all six for mine, but i think you can def get away with 3 for the bridesmaids.
    Anniversary
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_cant-stop-looking-peonies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:d1ae55cc-3beb-436a-949e-13337b459112Post:9d5e7d3c-dac8-4586-89c7-fe7118121c54">Re: Can't stop looking at peonies!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can't stop looking at peonies! : thats exactly what i ordered!  my wedding is in a few days so my bouquet is done......when i get home tnite, I'll send you some pics.  i used all six for mine, but i think you can def get away with 3 for the bridesmaids.
    Posted by mikeynkrib2011[/QUOTE]

That would be so awesome if you could send me some pics!! And congrats on the impending wedding--that's so exciting!!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_cant-stop-looking-peonies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:d1ae55cc-3beb-436a-949e-13337b459112Post:142b7a5b-acad-4d03-b241-ad075f9231ff">Re: Can't stop looking at peonies!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Can't stop looking at peonies! : That would be so awesome if you could send me some pics!! And congrats on the impending wedding--that's so exciting!!
    Posted by Irishcurls[/QUOTE]

you got it!  i mixed in a few other vintage inspired flowers for a few little pops of color, but you can see how the peonies look together.

thanks for the congrats!  I'm beyond excited!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Can I get in on these pictures as well? It would be much appreciated :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_cant-stop-looking-peonies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:d1ae55cc-3beb-436a-949e-13337b459112Post:5097c9aa-9add-43cd-be27-a1b13b3b944f">Re: Can't stop looking at peonies!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can I get in on these pictures as well? It would be much appreciated :)
    Posted by ewhiteman06[/QUOTE]

yes indeed!  i'm all wedding goo-goo-ga-ga these days so i am more than happy to!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    as you should be :) im right at the 6 month mark and can't wait to be where you're at, just days out!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    and it goes by so quickly!  enjoy these upcoming months!  it only gets crazier from here.....next thing you know, you're picking up your dress and walking down the aisle!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Really? Who's the florist and have they been in business a while?   Because I know flowers and that sounds really unlikely.

That Yuves paget rose is your best bet... fabulously beautiful and fragrant  

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What seems unlikely? As far as I know, the typical blooming season is late spring-early summer and they only last for a few weeks. Obviously, cooler climates have them available later, but then it brings up budget concerns--shipping flowers from all over isn't really what I'm looking for. 
  • edited December 2011
    Ive worked in wholesale flowers and cannot remember seeing them ever in August or September.... 

We get them in late november to january and mid may to mid july here in new england.   

I can see that in Canada they might be available from a local  farmer that does not export  wholesale.. So if the florist has a good connection it might happen... 

But be ready to be dissapointed out of season because they will probably be buds held in coolers for months and unlikley to open with the vigor of a bloom in season. 

here are peony alternatives... cottage roses

Esperance roses  are big white with pink edges and stunners.> 
  • Sara191431Sara191431 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Garden Roses are a great alternative!
  • edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    @ ewhite and irishcurls:

here are a few more.  the link above is my bouqet as well!

Anniversary
  • flower_divaflower_diva member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    If you know the right florist eonies are available all year round. With fedex nowdays they can come from all over the world. roblem being they are not inexpesive in the off season here and holland. I had some shiped from New Zealand and the cost was outrageous.  But if you want them for your bokay get them.....it's about you and your groom...let the rest of them carry weeds if they have to!
  • edited December 2011
    @mikey, those are beautiful! are they all fake? What are the little green berry looking ones?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_cant-stop-looking-peonies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:28Discussion:d1ae55cc-3beb-436a-949e-13337b459112Post:8efb2339-2c7f-461d-830f-9c025ff4f56d">Re: Can't stop looking at peonies!</a>:
    [QUOTE]@mikey, those are beautiful! are they all fake? What are the little green berry looking ones?
    Posted by ewhiteman06[/QUOTE]

yep, all fake!  the green berries are called 'hypericum'.  you can usually find them seasonally, around fall time.  they come in a deep purple/red too.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards