Christian Weddings

Please Pray for My Cousin (long)

My cousin and her husband found out a few weeks ago that they were expecting their second child.  She went to the doctor early last week.  She said she thought she was about 6 weeks (they have been TTC so she was keeping track).  Her doctor said there was no way, that she was way too big for 6 weeks, and she was either farther along than she thought or carrying twins.  So she had an ultrasound this morning to check things out, and it's routine for doctors to do an ultrasound early on anyway.

She said that as soon as the ultrasound tech put the wand to her abdomen, she said "I have to go get the doctor" and ran out of the room.  The doctor came in and took a look.  He said they couldn't be totally sure from the ultrasound, but the pregnancy looked to be ectopic. 

For those who don't know, an ectopic pregnancy is when the egg gets fertilized and begins to grow inside the fallopian tubes that connect the ovaries to the uterus.  It is fatal to both mother and baby, and there is no way to save the pregnancy.  They pretty much immediately abort at that point.

The doctor wasn't sure that the pregnancy was ectopic though.  He said it looked very strange, and it could be that there was some tissue hanging down from the wall of her uterus that the fertilized egg had attached to.  In that case, the smaller portion of uterine tissue attached to the baby would not supply enough blood as the pregnancy progressed.  The baby would essential be choked of blood and be a stillbirth.

To make sure he knew what he was dealing with, the doctor scheduled an emergency surgery this afternoon to do a laparoscopy.  Basically, he made a small cut in her abdomen and stuck a camera in to see what was going on.  He told us that if he got inside and saw an ectopic pregnancy, he would cut it out.  If not, we would go from there.

He got inside and saw that the pregnancy was neither ectopic nor attached to a piece of hanging uterine tissue.  It is however implanted far too high up in the uterus.  The fallopian tubes come into the uterus at the top.  In a normal pregnancy, and egg drops down towards the bottom of the uterus, attaches to the wall, and waits to be fertilized.  In this case, the egg didn't drop far enough, and attached too high.  Unfortunately, this could lead to the same scenario as the hanging tissue, and the baby might not get enough blood as time passes.

For now, she is still pregnant, and we are praising God that it was not ectopic (because that would have led to loss of functioning in one ovary - not to mention the immediate loss of the pregnancy).  She has been classified as a high risk pregnancy until 13 weeks - if the pregnancy lasts that long.

In short, please pray for my cousin, her husband, and all of our family as we try to find a way to deal with this crisis.
image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
17/100 books read in 2013

Re: Please Pray for My Cousin (long)

• iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry to hear about this.  They must be so discouraged right now.  I'll say a prayer now and then as they come to mind.
  • Kensi1217Kensi1217 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    just said a heartfelt prayer for them.<3  please keep posting information, even though i dont know yall, i will continue to pray! (thats the beauty of being Christian, one big family :]  )
  • GJones27GJones27 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm truly sorry to hear about that.  I hope everything works out for your cousin and her husband.
  • edited December 2011
    So sorry. I will definitely pray for your family. God is with you all. 
  • edited December 2011
    I'm remembering you as we pray in choir this morning... :-) 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone.  It's so great to have this place where I can find prayer partners.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • edited December 2011
    I am praying too!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards