Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Serve your own alcohol

Is it totally tacky to have our guests serve there own alcohol? We are thinking of having keg beer and wine only. Can we have the wine on a table to have everyone serve themselves?

Re: Serve your own alcohol

• Options
    Absolutely not. That is what is done in our area most of the time and what we are doing as well. We will have several kegs of beer (BL, Shiner and Dos XX), 2 margarita machines, champagne and still debating on the wine. To be honest I do not want to deal with red wine spills on my dress or the rented linens.
  • Options
    I think it works well to put a few bottles of wine at the tables and haev guests serve themselves..more family style, which is the new trend.  Don't know about the keg though...
    Daisypath Wedding tickers in progess... Planning bio
  • Options
    If it was a really formal event, it might be weird.  If it's more casual - it's not weird, go for it.  Just make sure your venue will allow for it.  Most venues require a licensed bartender.
  • Options
    having a couple bottles of wine on the table for guests is perfectly fine. having them serve their own beer from a keg? yea i don't know about that...........actually i do. it makes me think hick.
  • Options
    We put wine on the tables, and had a couple of hired people uncork them for us, as well as the champagne toast. For us, it was worth it. We also had buckets of bottled beer scattered around the yard, and people served themselves. Have you thought of bottled beer vs. a keg? I agree with psi chick that it would be a little less than elegant to have your guests serving themselves from a keg.
  • Options
    We had a serve yourself bar.  Red and white wines and bottled beer.  Kegs can be tricky - I'd do bottle over keg.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    I would do bottled beer over a keg.  It would remind me of college if I had to pump a keg.
  • Options
    Have you checked with your venue? Serving yourselves might not even be an option. If it is an option, I wouldn't call it "tacky," but it's definitely casual so it depends on the feel of the rest of the wedding.
  • Options
    I would do bottled over keg.  I don't even know how to pump a keg.  If you're stuck with the keg, you could probably hire a bartender for pretty cheap; a lot of licensed bartenders who work for restaurants/bars are happy to pick up some extra cash on the side.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Well my wedding is in no way "hick." In fact, it is very far from it. I am paying someone to serve everything and make sure any food or drink related items are taken care of during the reception. However, in my circle serving yourself is preferrable when it comes to alcohol.
    We are having a very nice elegant ceremony and reception but we want it to feel relaxed and fun. Guests can also bring their own bottle of liquor if they would like. Majority of the women will drink the margarita's or make their own mixed drink since they have that option over beer. The  guys will mostly drink beer. They are like most other guys and will be completely satisfied because it is cold and FREE. I am a beer drinker myself and I have never been put off by one of the many weddings that had keg beer.
    Like I said before this is very acceptable in our area. We have a very fun group of people who like to kick off their shoes and have a good time. You know your crowd more than anyone on here so I would say go with your gut on this one.
  • Options
    MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2010
    Having your guests serve themselves from the keg (regardless of their gender) screams white trash.  Putting bottles of wine on the table for them to pour for themselves is just fine.
  • Options
    Well as you can see everyone has their own opinion on this topic. Our guests are not white trash nor would they think we are white trash for giving them free beer at our reception. If you do plan on doing this I would look into keg covers like we are using. Basically the only thing they will see is the tap and white linens. The beer will still be cold and FREE.
  • Options
    You continue to pat yourself on the back for not charging for the beer, like this is some great accomplishment.  You do realize that it would be incredibly rude to charge for it, right?  

Putting a cover on a keg doesn't make it any less frat party, but to each her own.  
  • Options
    LasairionaLasairiona member
    First Comment
    edited March 2010
    A number of venues do not allow you to have self-serve alcohol unless you want to be held fully liable if something happens at any point, even if your guests get in trouble on the way home. Others don't give you that option and say that you are not allowed to have it at all. Check with the venue before you decide anything.
  • Options
    My grandma won't be drinking beer but thanks for the concern. You're not going to change my mind on this and I'm not trying to change yours. People have different opinions and that is okay. Don't understand why people get so heated on topics that don't even apply to them because they are not the guest.

Like I said before I know my guests. None of them will be judging me on the way the beer is served and if they didn't like it they will have several different options.

For the record people can delete and hide posts all they want. It's too late.

For the OP: there will be people that will judge anything I have learned on here. Unfortunately by reading other posts some people are very passionate about things that really shouldn't matter. Do what you and your FI want. Good Luck! :)
  • Options
    No one is trying to change your mind.  It's your wedding, and you are welcome to be tacky all you want.  People are continuing to point out how tacky it is because the OP asked, and she actually is concerned with not looking trashy.  It isn't about you.

Other than that, I have no idea what you are talking about.
  • Options

Not really trying to change your mind.  You can do whatever you want.  Just pointing out how I feel about keg stands at weddings.

• Options
    mewebster59mewebster59 member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_serve-own-alcohol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:53b630d1-a865-48ff-bf90-6c1ae7bbc42dPost:ab6d2f05-1e0c-4fc6-aa30-c92096ad5566">Serve your own alcohol</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is it totally tacky to have our guests serve there own alcohol? We are thinking of having keg beer and wine only. Can we have the wine on a table to have everyone serve themselves?
    Posted by flitter858@hotmail.com[/QUOTE]

"Like I said before I know my guests. None of them will be judging me on the way the beer is served and if they didn't like it they will have several different options. "
    Posted by flitter858@hotmail.com

<strong>WTF why even ask us then?
    </strong>
    Daisypath Wedding tickers in progess... Planning bio
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah I didn't post that! Just the original thread... I am curious what others think, that is why I asked. Please don't confuse me with someone else.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards