Students
Options

Med school - am I crazy?

Anyone out there planning on getting married during 3rd or 4th year of med school?  Am I crazy to be attempting this?  Any advice on the most friendly real rotations (no reading months!)?
Monica
BabyFruit Ticker TTC since Nov 2011 Me: hypothalamic amenorrhea, DH: perfect May 2012 Follistim injections without response Sept 2012 Femara and Follistim resulting in hyperstimulation Nov/Dec 2012 Menopur for ~25 days, trigger, TI, BFP 1/1/13!

Re: Med school - am I crazy?

• Options
    there are A LOT of med students on this board, getting married in the middle of school.  So it can be done!

I am getting married 9 days after i graduate from vet school (so different but similar) and there are points that a stressful, but very do able.  I think the most important part about getting married in med school is to give your self plenty of time.  A long engagement is good in this situation.  Plan early, and keep organized.  I also am so thankful that I have a wonderful network of family and friends (oh and FI) to help when I am busy.

good luck! its all worth it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Options
    Hi! I'm a PGY1 radiology resident -so just went through the rat race of med school (don't worry it continues in residency!)

I think that getting married later in 4th yr would be ideal because after you are done with applying/interviewing for residency it is a pretty chill year....until March when the match results come out, haha!

3rd year can be a bit tougher because rotations can be very long and hard for many schools (I know I frequently worked />80 hr/week and had to study for the shelf exams for each rotation on top of that).  I would talk to current third yrs at your school to get their take on what it is like at your school. However, that being said I do know 2 girls who got married at the end of 3rd year and did just fine :)

Best of luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I'm a 4th year, getting married right after I graduate.
    Thursday=Graduation
    Friday=RD
    Saturday=Wedding
    I've been asked if I'm crazy, but what helped was a longgggg engagement. My FI and I knew we wanted to get married right after I graduate, so he proposed about 2 years and 4 months before that so I would have plenty of time. It's been great and fourth year is a great time to plan. Third year was crazy though, and I can't imagine doing all of the planning within third year.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I'm getting married in April of my 4th year so i'm right between match day and graduation. I have a few months off 4th year and I'm scheduling one of those months to be April! Just make sure you have a good support system to help you make calls and whatnot. I'm finding that one of the most frustraing things is being in the hospital when most people have business hours so I rarely get to speak to someone unless I have a day off or post-call. Good luck!
  • Options
    I'm an MD/PhD student, and I just got married last weekend. 

It was right between the end of my PhD years and returning to med school 3rd year rotations. 

For us, it was also a destination wedding, as I am in Utah and it was in NY. And my FI lives in a different part of NY.... so it required a lot of "conference calls." It was a little stressful, but worked out fine. 

I think its totally doable, but you may need to delegate some stuff to your FI or mom or other close people. 

The one thing I would say, now having DONE it, is that your wedding is NOT your marriage. Sometimes, with a wedding, you have to "let go" of some details. That was certainly true for me. And it was no big deal in the end. I promise!
    http://www.mywedding.com/lynnieandandy
    october '10 siggy: Early Pic of me and FI (not the first.....)
    imageVisit The Knot! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am an Md/Phd student too... I finished ms2 over the summer and now embarking on my phd, but the more I plan, the more I want to run away and elope. Bless you girls who can plan it all. I am struggling, to say it nicely. I'm quite positive we will be doing a destination wedding sometime before I start my last 2 md years. Desitination wedding with a built in honeymoon seems like the logical answer in my book!!! Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards