Favors
Options

I haz AE - Engagement Party 'Heated Discussion' XP on E

I'm kind of embarassed about this one.

My parents and my FI's parents are graciously hosting an engagement party for us, for our parents to meet.  I'm becoming a reg on the e-board and knew this issue would come up, but I think I kind of botched it big time, and want peoples' opinions.

They want "No gifts please" on the invitations.  I tried to explain it wasn't ok etiquette, but maybe I'm just not great at explaining things.  I said an e-party wasn't a gift giving event, so it wasn't appropriate to put gift-related information on the invite.  I said that people are adults and can make their own gift-related decisions, and if they don't know they will ask and be told that no gifts are necessary.

My parents countered that NOT putting it on the inviation leads us into gray areas, they don't want people to bring gifts and feel awkward that we aren't opening them in front of everyone, or worry about NOT bringing a gift if they see someone else bring them.  I see their point, and maybe I've been spending too much time on these boards.

And now I feel like an a-hole.

How would y'all have  handled it?  Just let it go b/c  your parents are adults, capable of their own decisions?  Or told them the correct etiquette and let them make the decision (which ultimately, I did).

Thank you!

ETA I didn't see this was the favors board, feel like even more of an a-hole.

Re: I haz AE - Engagement Party 'Heated Discussion' XP on E

• Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Let them know that gifts should not be mentioned at all.  I've been to several engagement parties and no one brings a gift, unless it's a bottle of wine but that's mostly a normal thing to bring to someones home.  If they really press you on it then just let it be.  They're the ones hosting the party.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards