Students
Options

***jesslynn1012***

You mentioned in the other thread that you got a masters in art therapy. I was looking into that for a while, and I was just curious if you would be willing to tell me a little bit about it and your experience. Are you working as an art therapist now or did you go on to other things?

Thanks in advance!

Re: ***jesslynn1012***

• Options
    EC88EC88 member
    First Comment
    I'm curious about this as well! It's something I've been interested in since I'm about to graduate with a bachelors in visual art.
  • Options
    I majored in psychology and have an art minor. That kind of lends itself perfectly to art therapy if I decided to pursue it, haha!
  • Options
    Sorry I haven't checked back here for a while... What kind of information are you looking for?  I just graduated May 18th.  It was a "dual" degree, meaning my degree says "Art Therapy and Counseling".  It was a 3 year master's program.  I went to Ursuline because it was the only school in Ohio that is accredited.  I think that getting the counseling degree/licensure is important because art therapy in itself doesn't allow you to be billable for services (in Ohio).  I haven't taken my national counseling exam yet, so I haven't actively pursued job-hunting.  I also went to school in Cleveland, OH and am planning on moving home to Toledo-area when my lease is up in August. 
    I think that art therapy is a great field to be in.  In school, I have gotten experience working with school-age children in the inner-city, children with cerebral palsy, parents of special needs children, adults in a studio setting, teens/adults in an inpatient-psych unit of a hospital, and in an addiction treatment center.  Art can be used in so many ways with so many populations.  PM me if you want any more specific info on my experiences.  I could give you my email address/facebook information to connect:) 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards