Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Should I Order Extra Food?

Hello, I'm hoping you ladies can help me with a quick question.

For my wedding, we're doing a buffet dinner.  We are expecting about 100 guests out of 145 invited (some haven't RSVP'd yet, but we're getting ahold of those within the next few days).  

Should I order some extra food for the buffet (i.e. tell them to have food for 110 if we only have 100) in case some people bring unannounced plus-ones?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Should I Order Extra Food?

• Options
    topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's always best to have too much food than too little food.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    your caterer might already be accounting for this.  i'd check with the caterer before you up the #'s, especially if you're paying per head like we are!!!!
  • Options
    peanutty2peanutty2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i'm guessing a caterer already is accounting for this, i'd talk it over with them just to be sure before you tell them a higher number than you need too.
  • Options
    ckollstedtckollstedt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks ladies!  I'll put it on the list of things to go over with the caterer before our final head count is due.  :)
  • Options
    rascal17rascal17 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My fiance is a chef and has done catering as well and a good caterer will make a little extra "just in case". And with buffets they will make more than needed because they cant control portions sizes and they need to account for guests taking more than alotted and still be able to feed everyone. 

But like the others said talk to your caterer to make sure this is how they do things because I know this is the way my hubby to be does it and explained it to me (I thought about doing a buffet)
    Pumpernickel and olive juice
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_should-order-extra-food?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:64490ec3-193d-48d8-8b0c-41b0613dde06Post:9e979951-e6fa-4787-981c-c708ef63e7e6">Re: Should I Order Extra Food?</a>:
    [QUOTE]your caterer might already be accounting for this.  i'd check with the caterer before you up the #'s, especially if you're paying per head like we are!!!!
    Posted by arrabelle[/QUOTE]

^ This.  If it's a good caterer, they will account for extra food.  Say you invite 100 people, 80 respond, and 2 show up without responding (or said they wouldn't.)  Your caterer should be able to make up for this.

It's the same as if you're having a plated dinner.  The caterer always brings extra in case you have a guest that changes his/her mind on the spot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards