Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

what do you do with these?

Just got curious even though the weddings a while off. What do you do with the 'something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue' stuff? Do you wear it all or have it with you or what?
Thanks for your help with my random question.

Re: what do you do with these?

• You can do it however you want.  I'm borrowing a coin from the 1800s from my mom that was my grandfather's (old and borrowed) that will be in my shoe, I'll be wearing something new (dress, etc.).  I might have a blue garter or tie a blue ribbon around my bouquet for the blue part. Many brides do blue shoes, too.

It doesn't matter if it's worn or held or tied to something that you're holding
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There's actually a sticky at the top of this forum about Old, New, Borrowed, Blue I believe if you're looking for ideas. Personally:

Old/Borrowed - My mother's locket she got from her grandmother when she was little is going to be tied around my bouquet.

New - My dress/veil/etc.

Blue - I'm having all my bridesmaids write their names in blue sharpie on the soles of my shoes.

And then I have a sixpence anklet for the ever forgotten "silver sixpence in your shoe" part of the rhyme.
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • My daughter is using an old blue necklace that is borrowed from me. Her tiara is her new and a pence in her shoe.
  • I personally put detailed thought into this "tradition", as I expected guests would ask me about it! You know, small talk..."So what's your something blue....."

No one even so much as brought it up...not even my bridesmaids!

I think it will just be a personal preference if you want to follow the tradition.
  • I didn't plan nor fret about it.  I knew it would come together easily, since my dress was blue (and new) and I didn't focus on buying a lot of new things.  Although I'd intended to buy new jewelry, I couldn't find anything so I ended up borrowing a necklace at the last minute.
  • I picked and chose what I liked and what I didn't about the tradition.  I like the idea of the borrowed item being from someone who had a successful marriage before me (I'm wearing my mother's earrings and necklace).

The new is the wedding gown, the old is a locket I will have wrapped in the bouquet.  I skipped the blue part (tradition developed from wishing for male offspring.  I don't value one gender over the other, so nevermind about that).

Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• My dress was new and blue. I had borrowed jewelry from my mom which was old.

• Stage is correct, the blue has nothing to do with wishing for boys, and actually, the colors pink and blue were reversed:  blue was for girls, pink for boys prior to 1900, according to a documentary I watched a few months ago.  :-)
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • I wasn't planning on following this tradition, but my grandmother recently gave me her garter (old and blue) to wear.  I have new earrings so I'm thinking that I should just borrow something, maybe a bracelet from my mom.
  • Well,

Old: a handkerchief will be in my bouquet that was inherited when my grandmother died. I believe it was her mother's as well.

New: just about all my jewelry, except for my ...

Borrowed: my mom's diamond earrings.

Blue: my "unmentionable" panties. And I'll figure something else that's mentionable.
  • Old: I'm wearing a cross my grampa gave my gramma in my hair.

New: my dress.

Borrowed: sapphire necklace from my FMIL.

Blue: blue sash around my dress at the waist.

Six pence: a dime in my shoe />.<
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards