Catholic Weddings

NFP

I'm so confused which NFP class I should complete. They seem to be the same thing. What was your experience and which class did you choose?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NFP

• I like Creighton method, because its standardized teaching, and standardized scientific observation, and the method that is used for Napro Technology for health. 

STM used a couple different symptoms to confirm ovulation. There are some philosophical differences of the way STM is taught that I'm not a fan of, but sometimes this method is better for people than other methods.

Marquette is basically creighton method with an ovulation monitor. 

Billings is also mucous only. 

All methods are considered to be very effective, and if one doesn't work for you, try another one. 

• You sold me on the Creighton method! Thank you! :
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2012
    [QUOTE]You sold me on the Creighton method! Thank you! :
    Posted by pxbride13[/QUOTE]
    Not so fast!  ;-)<div>I know we had another thread about this recently, but I can't find it ATM, so I'm sure others will chime in, but I love Sympto-Thermal because I love having another sign (temperature) to verify what I am *pretty* sure about based on my mucus observations. Especially my DH, b/c he can't actually <em>see</em> the mucus, he really likes knowing what my temperature is to know for 100% sure whether I've ovulated or not.</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: While it is particularly useful if there is anything "unusual" about your cycle, especially anything that could benefit from a doctor's attention, Creighton is also much more expensive b/c it requires a lot more meetings with an instructor to learn. (Many people have successfully learned Sympto-Thermal for free from a book- Taking Charge of Your Fertility.)</div>
    Anniversary
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    We have a page on our website that details some info for you [HERE]. I follow sympto-thermal (self-taught using the book Taking Chaqrge of Your Fertility), but I do not have any medical issues. I agree with lala, I like having a cross-check with the temp to help pinpoint ovulation. But, I would highly recommend Creighton for anyone that might have issues with their cycle. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have as you learn - there are a plethora of helpful ladies that have been using NFP for many years on this board!
  • Another thing to take into consideration is lifestyle. For example, I am a poor sleeper, have a H who works irregular hours, and a baby on the way -- those things combine to make the temperature reading pretty unreliable for me overall; I don't have consistent enough sleep to get three hours before a set time every day. I know there are other posters who have switched to mucous-only methods for similar reasons.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • After reading some posts and learning that inconsistent sleep can affect the temps on the sympto-thermal method, I decided to start learning a CM-only system.  In my area, it was only about a $50 difference to take a Billings class v. a Creighton class, so  I decided to go with Creighton.  I don't *think* there's anything weird going on with my cycles, but I've been on BC pills for years and am just now stopping, so I don't know that for sure.  I had pretty inconsistent cycles back when I was 17, but that was 9 years ago so maybe it's resolved itself by now.  Ultimately I chose Creighton b/c if there is anything unusual, then I've already learned a system that can help me figure it out.
  • Oooh! Pick me! :) The Billings method is also completely scientifically based (not that the other methods aren't, but I know people think NFP is not based on thoroughly researched science) and is extremely simple to us as it only has 4 rules. It is mucus only so you needn't worry about taking your temp every morning which requires getting consistent sleep.

Full disclosure, I am in the middle of taking my teacher training course to become a Billings teacher (just finished our first full day and boy was there a lot of info!) so I am a bit biased. But as others have said, finding a method that fits your lifestyle is key so be sure to research all the options available! We actually ended up switching methods (as many do) because our first method wasn't working for us. Good luck! And feel free to ask any more questions. I think most of us really enjoy talking NFP ;)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• [QUOTE]Oooh! Pick me! :) 
    Posted by TeaForMe[/QUOTE]
    LOL! 
    Anniversary
  • Just to clarify terms again:

All 4 methods are "scientific based". as in they rely on biology and science for the usage of the method.

Only Creighton (and by extension in some ways marquette) is scientific observation. 
  • Lol Tea! I read TCOYF and then I took the CCL nfp course and charted for about 6 months with that. Because of their rules, I was considered fertile every day, besides during my period. I have always had very strange cycles, and therefore didn't have much luck with it. I know many women who took this course and have had great success it just wasn't for me. I am now learning Creighton, thanks to the ladies on this board. I'm about a week into it and already I feel much more confident. If you have fairly normal cycles not necessarily the same length each month, but at least exhibiting more normal patterns of temps and cm then stm would probably work great, and is usually cheaper and more accessible. If you have a more quirky cycle, then you should go with Creighton. Billings would prob also be good, but I have no personal experience with it. Def feel free to ask questions as you learn, because there are a lot of NFPers on this board!

• agape,

I really don't know much about Creighton, so can you clarify what you mean by "scientific observation" in this context - ie: what makes Creighton's observations scientific but not other methods' observations? Thanks!

• Scientific observation in a lab leaves no room for variables (except the ones needed for the experiment). All methods leave room for many kinds of variables. Creighton allows the least amount of variables. 

Creighton method has instructions on how to observe. (down to how to wipe, no crumpled/colored tissue). You do this every single time, with absolutely no exception, before/after any kind of restroom, before/after shower, before/after swimming, before bed with extra instructions. There are several steps each time to make a decision about what is observed. (You can't look at first, must decide first if it feels a certain way, etc)  There are about 30 some odd questions you get asked at every meeting with the instructor about your practices to make sure that every single step is followed to a t. 

All other methods leave room for more variables, more options of what to observe and when, as well as not the miticulous and explicit instructions of how, when, and what. 

• Riss91Riss91 member
    Symto-thermal teaches to check fluid everytime you use the bathroom and at a minimum - ensure to check at least 3 times a day (morning, afternoon, night). You are supposed to check it before and after using the toilet, using a consistent method (internally, or via tissue wipe). You are also supposed to note your vaginal sensations and underwear throughout the day. You should observe both quantity, and quality of the fluid (color, opacity, consistency, thickness, stretchiness, slippery/lubricative quality). There is no discussion of checking before/after showering specifically.

It is somewhat detailed/specific and optimally, you would be vigilant in keeping your observations consistent. But perhaps, not quite as strict as Creighton.
  • Everyone has offered great advice, but I wanted to put one more vote out there for Billings.  I started with sympto-thermal as taught in TCOYF, but I found it to be frustrating because my temperatures were all over the place and I just wasn't confident identifying my CM as falling into any of the categories given by that method.  Billings does not rely on temperature, and you choose the terminology you use for your CM, which is great.  We've successfully avoided pregnancy with it since we got married six months ago!
    Anniversary

• Well, leave it to the Catholic board to get into a fight about which NFP is the greatest :)

By the way, I'm totally filled up with Billings propaganda now and can tell everyone in no uncertain terms why it is the pinnacle of all NFP ;)

• I went with Creighton because I had several friends recommend it.  I have super irregular cycles, PCOS and irregular sleep patterns... so anticipate that checking BBT early in the morning every day would not have been my cup of tea.  Additionally, I don't have a thyroid... so my temps would have probably been thrown off by that, too.  That said, I sometimes wouldn't mind being able to cross-check fertility with another indicator like temperature due to aforementioned cycle weirdness.  About half of our friends using NFP learned a symptothermal method through CCL and it's worked well for them!  My husband and I have been succesfully postponing pregnancy for a year using NFP and are going to start trying soon since he's within the magical 9 months of being finished with school. 
  • I just bought a copy of TCOYF and I can't put it down... 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wow, you guys are amazing! Thank you so much for your help! :D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This is an interesting post. I've been following the method in TCOYF since my cycle started almost a month ago, and am not sure it's working for me. It's been saying I'm in a fertile phase for a while now, which I don't think is entirely accurate. I'm going to try it for another month, and if it still seems wonky, I'm going to try and find a class on another method. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nfp-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:f944babb-e086-424b-b4c8-149cbe3efaf5Post:60fab16e-1dc8-46d0-9743-54abde3e4caa">Re: NFP</a>:
    [QUOTE]This is an interesting post. I've been following the method in TCOYF since my cycle started almost a month ago, and am not sure it's working for me. It's been saying I'm in a fertile phase for a while now, which I don't think is entirely accurate. I'm going to try it for another month, and if it still seems wonky, I'm going to try and find a class on another method. 
    Posted by christinamarie325[/QUOTE]

It took me about 4 months to get used to it. I had was constantly second-guessing myself with CM until I finally saw my pattern. It did take a few months.

How long were your cycles before you started charting? Are you coming off of BCPs?
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nfp-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:f944babb-e086-424b-b4c8-149cbe3efaf5Post:392e2e33-7164-412e-99b7-c240eff8c434">Re: NFP</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NFP : It took me about 4 months to get used to it. I had was constantly second-guessing myself with CM until I finally saw my pattern. It did take a few months. How long were your cycles before you started charting? Are you coming off of BCPs?
    Posted by Riss91[/QUOTE]

<div>My cycles are pretty normal. Abour 28-30 days max. I have never been on BCP's. My body temp has been really up for over a week now, and I don't know if thats normal. After my period I was in the 96.9 range, and now I've been in the 98 degree range for a bit now. Keep thinking it'll dip back down and it hasnt, which I think is whats throwing me off. Once I see the patterm as a whole, I think it will make more sense.</div><div>
    </div><div>The CM's have been hard for me to read too, since I've never really been a "dry" person. I did however, see when it was stretchier.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    Your temps will stay up during most of your luteal phase...how many days have they been up? Did the stretchier CM coincide with your temp spike?
  • It's been spiked for about a week now. The temp rise did pretty much coincide from sticky to more creamy, stretchy, then just a bit lotiony, to just wet. Maybe I'm just over thinking :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    It wouldn't be abnormal for your high temp to be maintained for over a week. My luteal phase can sometimes last 16 days...
  • edited May 2012
    Thank you for the info Riss! I truly appreciate it. :)

I think the biggest thing for me, is that my signs aren't always "dry" so sometimes I mark it dry, when for me, it's nothing significant or substantial feeling.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    I think once you['ve seen a few cycles, you will start to feel more comfortable with how your CM observations translate to your fertile/non-fertile periods. Please feel free to ask any questions as they come up - I learned a TON by lurking on different boards and learning from the ladies on this board.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_nfp-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:f944babb-e086-424b-b4c8-149cbe3efaf5Post:cdf57ead-e194-4a18-8a9c-961df012e3b9">Re: NFP</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think once you['ve seen a few cycles, you will start to feel more comfortable with how your CM observations translate to your fertile/non-fertile periods. Please feel free to ask any questions as they come up - I learned a TON by lurking on different boards and learning from the ladies on this board.
    Posted by Riss91[/QUOTE]

<div>I certaintly will!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards