Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

What do you think of this?

My parents want to do a combo plate for the wedding (half chicken, half beef) and FI and I want to do two separate entrees since his whole family doesn't eat beef. I also don't eat beef and wouldn't want my potato or chicken soaked in au jus. Their solution is to have people trade beef and chicken, like after dinner is served. Am I the only one who finds this odd and tacky?

Re: What do you think of this?

• edited December 2011
    Can you offer the option of a duet plate, or one or the other?  Our venue automatically does duet plates, but we had a few people who don't eat beef so our caterer just gave them double chicken instead.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_think-of-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:55ab8dcc-25c1-4f69-9c25-42530b247479Post:8d0492fe-8fd7-4297-8c02-947c407d5348">What do you think of this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My parents want to do a combo plate for the wedding (half chicken, half beef) and FI and I want to do two separate entrees since his whole family doesn't eat beef. I also don't eat beef and wouldn't want my potato or chicken soaked in au jus. Their solution is to have people trade beef and chicken, like after dinner is served. Am I the only one who finds this odd and tacky?
    Posted by MyWedding13[/QUOTE]

<div>While the combo plate is nice for people who eat both, I think it would be pretty rude if you know that a good portion of your guests don't eat beef.  Unless, as PP said, your venue is willing to give people 2 pieces of chicken if they don't want beef, or vice versa, then I wouldn't do it.  And the idea of people swapping meats on a plate at the table is way too school cafeteria for me, and not something I would want at my wedding.  </div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    That isn't something I want either. I think it is rude, also. So I wonder how this would work with the response card on the invitation? Would you just ask people if they want chicken or beef or chicken and beef?
  • golden1215golden1215 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would for sure go with the chicken or beef, no duet plate, given your guests preferences.
  • topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would give a choice of either chicken or beef since a lot of your guests don't eat beef. I agree that if I didn't like one meat, I wouldn't the meat I did like in those juices.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, there just doesn't seem to be a point to the duet if you've got a lot of guests that aren't interested in it.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_think-of-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:23Discussion:55ab8dcc-25c1-4f69-9c25-42530b247479Post:cabfdbc8-531e-4d0f-8aea-ffafcc0c38d5">Re: What do you think of this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That isn't something I want either. I think it is rude, also. So I wonder how this would work with the response card on the invitation? Would you just ask people if they want chicken or beef or chicken and beef?
    Posted by MyWedding13[/QUOTE]

I would probably have the response card say: 
    __ Chicken 
    __ Beef 
    __ Chicken & Beef

(with better descriptions).  However, if the majority of your guests don't eat beef, I do agree with PPs that it's probably better to skip the duet plate.  It wasn't really an option for us.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I would do one or the other... if i was at a wedding and i wanted both i would have shane get one and me het the other so we could try both... however i would never expect to get both at a wedding, they should know which one they like better and they can make the choice. good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Swapping meat over a tablecloth at a wedding is TACKY.  The duet plates sound nice, but it's really not asking that much for people to make a choice about meat.  Nobody will feel deprived if they don't get both, and they wouldn't expect it if it weren't offered.
  • AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You need to tell your parents that there will be 3 options:  chicken, beef, or vegetarian.  You could also add a chicken/beef combo option if you want, but give your guests a choice. 

There are many people who do not eat beef for personal, religious, or even medical reasons.  Your parents should respect that. 
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards