October 2012 Weddings
Options

FSIL wants to sneak in her SIL's to the wedding. Am I over reacting?

FYI- this is a post and run. I am leaving work and I doubt I will be on until tomorrow morning.

Last week I got a call from my Future sister in law saying that her husband's sisters really want to come our wedding. I have told her multiple times that we just can't fit then into our budget.  I start on the same speech how we can't fit them in the budget, and I am uncomfortable with inviting them and not their husbands because of etiquette. She tells me that they thought up the perfect scenario. The sisters are going to come alone to the ceremony, go somewhere while everyone eats and then when the dinner is over they will come to the reception.

I am not comfortable with this. One reason is because I have met them twice and my fiance has met them once. When I first met them they joked around about how "We didn't even know FSIL had a brother, she hardly ever talks about him." Another reason why I am very uncomfortable inviting them is that at FSIL's wedding last year my parents weren't invited. Even though they sent FSIL an engagement present, and my mother was invited to her shower. (Granted, it wasn't a formal invitation, it was verbal but she was still invited and came.) They did not have a small wedding. It was a 350 person wedding.

I plan on having FI talk to her privately, first talking about how he doesn't know them, then saying that if the venue finds out people snuck in they can and will charge us for it. If she doesn't get the picture he is going to tell her that it isn't an option because he was embarrassed that his future in laws were neglected at her huge wedding (his words not mine.) 

Am I over reacting? Should I just deal with it and let it be about her and her husband like it always is or should FI and I stand up for ourselves?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: FSIL wants to sneak in her SIL's to the wedding. Am I over reacting?

• Options
    This is ridiculous!  I honestly think that sister-in-laws twice removed (is that right?!) do not warrant a wedding invite unless you are close.  Your FSIL is being crazy.  I would keep reiterating that uninvited guests will be kicked out.  I might be reluctant to bring up how your parents were slated by not being invited to her wedding because with weddings it shouldn't be an even match with, I was invited here so I should get an invite back, or vice versa.  You are not over-reacting but don't let it get dirty with explaining why they can't come.

btw, I have heard the craziest stories here on the Knot.  Never in my life would I consider sneaking into a wedding?! 

• Options
    CFM102012CFM102012 member
    First Comment
    edited June 2012
    Oh hell yeah stand up for yourselves. Explain (again) that you can not accomodate these girls. You'd love to invite them and their S/Os but due to budget and space are unable to. You're not comfortable with them coming to only the ceremony and then coming for the dance portion as that is a tiered reception and is considered rude. Firmly let FSIL know that any wedding crashers can and will be asked to leave. 

I do need to add that if the ceremony is in a church it might be considered open to the public for the cermony.  At my church they frequently post the date and time of ceremonies for the congregation to attend if they would like but only those actually invited are invited for the reception. 

Good luck

Edit: ditto pp on the "tit for tat" wedding invites. Don't bring that up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    You're not over reacting. That is so not ok. My coworker basically said she was planning to do the same thing.

I would skip talking to her yourself and let your brother have at her. It sounds like you've already tried to politely explain it a few times and she's not getting the picture.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Not over reacting at all! I would be completely beside myself! I cannot believe that they would think that was okay. I since to heave repeatedly told her they are not invited I have have FI deal with it.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If they don't even really know you why the heck would they want to come to your wedding??? Ok, they'll skip the dinner for what, so they can hit the open bar??!!!  I would be freakin' furious!  Actually, I am right now and I don't even know them or you!!  

Have your FI lay down the law and I would not sugarcoat it at all to spare her feelings...she apparently doesn't care about yours!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!! I feel a lot better knowing that I am not over reacting. I feel a lot better! I am going to have FI talk to her the next chance he has. He wants to take her aside and have this conversation because I bet you if FMIL was there she would stick up for FSIL.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This is exactly why we are having our reception on an army base! Fi's sister who we havent spoke to in 5 years said no one was keeping  her away ......... ok bi*ch  try and get past armmed guards :O)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards