Catholic Weddings

Catholic Question

Hi Everyone,
My FI and I aren't exactly good Catholics but his Mother is and at this point we are weighing our options to work with her on doing something catholic for our wedding or doing what we want and what we've actually already booked which is a wedding on the beach.  I should say that this whole thing feels wrong, that is to get married in the Catholic church when it's not our belief so please know that I get that and it's a major reason we don't want to do this. 
My question is this, in the Catholic church, can we have our wedding on the beach by a justice of the peace and then afterwards do a blessing in the Catholic church?  I'm lost in trying to research this and figure it out.
Help!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Catholic Question

• HandBananaHandBanana member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This topic is often discussed. Catholic weddings are in a Catholic church and not outside.  You can get a dispensation but those are very rare.

Talk to the priest about your feelings.  If you tell him you aren't Catholic and do not agree with the church, he probably won't let you get married in the church.

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_outside-ceremony-vs-church-ceremony
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    you shoudl go with your gut.  if you no longer bleieve in or practice the catholic faith, then you have no business marrying in the church.  dont let family pressure you on this.  in fact, its a graver sin (IMO) to fake being catholic just to have a ceremony to make your parents happy that if you simply married outside of the church and folllowed your beliefs.

a "blessing" isnt really anything but a feel good gesture.  a "convalidation" is what would make your marriage legal in the eyes of the church.  but you need a really good reason for why you werent married in the church in the first place.  given what your reasons are for marrying outside of the church, i doubt a priest would perform a convalidation.
  • edited December 2011
    Ditto the others.

And you might find some helpful advice by looking back through a few pages of posts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards