Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

To do a bridal hair and makeup trial or not?

I'm not sure if it's worth doing a bridal hair and makeup trial, what do you think? There's a MUA who does hair and makeup and from all the pics and reviews I've read and seen she does AH-MAZING work. For her price I'm so ready to book her but is paying $100 for a trial worth it?

Re: To do a bridal hair and makeup trial or not?

• My MUA's trial was another $100 so I didn't bother doing a trial. I knew exactly what I wanted and that's what she did on my wedding day. My look turned out perfectly. I also didn't mind doing a trial because I know she's such a highly recommended MUA and she has wonderful reviews from everyone she's worked with. 
  • I've never had my hair styled by a professional, I always did it for my own things (skating competitions, dances) so I am paying $75 for my trial as I am also doing airbrush make up and have never worn it. I want to make sure I figure out what I really want before the big day.
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • I did a post asking these same questions a few days ago and I think everyone told me to do the trial. What if she does it on your wedding day and you hate it? Did those other people whose pictures you looked at have trials, and that's why their pictures looked so good? Your MUA obviously won't show the pictures of people who looked awful.

Just saying! If you have the money, do it. I looked around and was actually able to find someone who does a free trial, and her day of stuff is wicked cheap.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2012
    I always recommend a trial.  Even though my MUA did my makeup for my E-pics, I wanted a different look for my wedding.  It turns out that I wanted something even different than what I thought--even though my MUA did exactly what I asked her to, I realized I wanted to make changes and would have not known this if I had not done a trial.

I tried a different MUA at the beginning of my search, did a trial with her, and hated it.  If I had hired her for my wedding, I would have been very disappointed.
  • I think it's worth it.

If you end up not getting the look you wanted, you'll wish you had done a trial.

When looking at spending money, I always ask myself "In 6 months, will I be glad I spend the money or wish I hadn't"  I think in this case, you'll be glad you spent the money.
  •  

This is a question I am often asked, so I am going to answer as completely and candidly as I can.

The main purpose of a Bridal trial is to save time and eliminate the risk of a last minute look on such an important day. After all - this is likely to be the most photographed day of your life and everyone will be looking at you.

A bridal trial session allows you and your makeup artist to discuss your wedding location (lighting plays a big part in how some makeup will look in photos) as well as color palettes, skin concerns (ie allergies) and how you want yourself to appear (glamorous or girl-next-door.) From there, you can try several looks and once you have decided, the makeup artist can make notes on exactly what she needs and what to do to re-create that same look on the big day, and have plenty of time to pick up any added extras such as items for touch-up kits or special products you may request.

Please contact me, and check out my website Fresh Face Makeup. Located in San Francisco

• Unfortunately I dont have time for a trial. I get to Hawaii a day before my ceremony so I have to go by the reviews of people that used the same stylist and MUA. Even if I did have time, I'm not sure I would do a trial. My budget is tight and I'd rather put something else into my ceremony, than have a trial done.
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • I would recommend a trial just to make sure you get what you want.  If you have the money go for it!!! If possible, I would think it would be a good idea to try and go out after your hair and or make up is done just so that you don't waste it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker "A wedding is a day, a marriage is a lifetime"
  • I would recommend it, it would be horrible if you hated your hair or makeup and didn't have time to fix it.  you will have photographs that are going to be precious memories and if you don't like the way you look in them you will be upset when you look at them instead of happy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm doing a trial as well and paying for them - I've never had my hair done professionally and I'm trying airbrushing for makeup (also new) and want to make sure everything comes out just right.  It should save time and any additional stress on the big day so you can relax and enjoy yourself.  I definitely think it's worth it. 
  • My hairdresser wants to do a trial just to get the look right and the timing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards