Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

How Long Is Your Reception

I may have asked this question before awhile ago, I can't remember. Anyway, how long is your reception going to last. Most reception venues allow you 3 hours, and a part of me thinks this may not be enough time.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: How Long Is Your Reception

• Options
    edited December 2011
    There is a good thread about this a couple of weeks ago. "3 or 4 hour reception?" Check it out. A lot of good feedback there. Helped me make up my mind for sure on having 4 hours instead of 3.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Queen JaneQueen Jane member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our ceremony is at 5, 2nd line at 520 and reception starts whenever we return, so it will likely be 4 hours long. (Our ceremony and reception are in the same place)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our reception is going to be for 4 hours.
    April 2012 - October Siggy Challenge: Bouquet Inspiration imageWedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    RYLZRYLZ member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    1 hour cocktails, 4.5 hours for dinner and dancing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agonized over this for a while and finally decided to go for a 4 hour reception. I figured this day only happens once in a lifetime and I might as well stretch it out a bit. Also, so many brides tell me that the day flew by and they hardly even remember it  because it all went by so fast. So, I figured an extra hour might slow it down a bit for me... more time to savor the moment.
    But on the cons... it does cost more. I guess I figured we'll be spending so much that a little extra expense is worth it.
    My ceremony starts at 3pm (full mass) followed by a second line. Reception will start at 4:30pm and go until 8:30pm. Also we're having a "heavy cocktail" reception instead of a sit down dinner.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_long-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:84Discussion:6c39f30f-b8a2-4956-b095-1a6ff824cc85Post:9fa28860-77ca-4d10-af08-056f34353573">Re: How Long Is Your Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]There is a good thread about this a couple of weeks ago. "3 or 4 hour reception?" Check it out. A lot of good feedback there. Helped me make up my mind for sure on having 4 hours instead of 3.
    Posted by NO2012[/QUOTE]

Thanks I will look for it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My only concern with adding another hour is that I would probably be completely exhausted and not even really enjoy the extra hour that I'm paying so much money for. My wedding reception begins at 7:30 and will end at 10:30 and I'm thinking that if I do pay for the extra hr. by 11:00 people would be leaving. My mom went to a 3 hr reception a couple of months ago, and she mentioned that the 3 hours was enough for her; there's only so much music you can listen to, food you can eat, and dancing you can do. She also mentioned that guests had started leaving before the 3rd hr was up because it was a late wedding and they were getting tired, and I wouldn't want that to happen. While I have a mixture of guests/ages, I know that ppl would be extremely tired by 10:30 especiallly since the wedding begins at 6:00pm (Catholic Ceremony).

I spoke with one of my friends who would be coming from out of town the day before, and she mentioned that 3 hours is long enough for her... So I guess 3 hrs it is!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    citybayougirlcitybayougirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    4 hours
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think if you're having an evening wedding then that changes things. A lot of people don't want to be kept out late! I know my Mom's always ready to leave by 10pm no matter where she is, so I'd say in your case, 3 hours is enough. Have fun!
  • Options
    louisianabluelouisianablue member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having a three hour reception, but we'll be doing a second line to an after party in the quarter.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We decided on a 3 hour reception, but many of our friends have had parties after their weddings.  We would all decide on a place to go in the quarter and the wedding guests that wanted to continue partying would all meet up.  It's usually the parents and the younger guests.  I can't afford to add an extra hour, but hopefully it'll be like my friends' weddings where everyone comes out after to continue the party.  That's usually been more fun (in my opinion as a guest) than the reception itself.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_louisiana-new-orleans_long-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:84Discussion:6c39f30f-b8a2-4956-b095-1a6ff824cc85Post:119f2da2-096d-40ca-90ba-d67fd3ca9b88">Re: How Long Is Your Reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]My only concern with adding another hour is that I would probably be completely exhausted and not even really enjoy the extra hour that I'm paying so much money for. My wedding reception begins at 7:30 and will end at 10:30 and I'm thinking that if I do pay for the extra hr. by 11:00 people would be leaving. [...]  I know that ppl would be extremely tired by 10:30 especiallly since the wedding begins at 6:00pm (Catholic Ceremony).
    Posted by egammo3[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat...  I keep realizing that those 3 hrs. are going to FLY by, but I feel like my hands are tied.  We're Catholic too, and our Mass starts at 6:30 (since 4:00 Mass won't let out untl 5:00), and there's a drive to the reception.  Basically, it'll be over at 11:30.  That's long enough for the guests, but I know it won't be long enough for me!  haha  Just want to enjoy the day, and I know it's going to just be a blink.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We have the venue for 4 hours and that includes the ceremony. We're thinking the ceremony will only be about 20 minutes tops so that leaves about 3 1/2 hours for the reception. It's over at 10 so we are telling people to meet us in the quarter for an after party if they are up to it.
    Photobucket Follow Me on Pinterest Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    4 hours, ending kinda late, at 1130. But a fair portion of my family/friends parties late. We go til 4/5am at Mardi Gras balls, so 1130 isn't much for us to blink at. It is gonna be a long night, though, so maybe I'll think twice about the possibility of adding a brass band for a 2nd line for the last half hour. Might not be worth it if half the guests (the non-party animals, of course...) leave beforehand.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Kate504Kate504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    3. When we went to view our venue we were told about a wedding where they purchased the extra hour. The bride was from OOT, when the 3rd hour was up a lot of guests left the ones from nola b/c they thought it was over.
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    3 hours...i figure if you're having a new orleans wedding, there will be an after party anyway so why spend the extra bucks at the reception venue when folks can just second line into the french quarter for fun.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I am really starting to like the idea of partying on Bourbon or somewhere after the reception.  Thanks Everyone!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards