Honeymoon Discussions

Florida (Universal) Honeymoon vs. Hawaii Honeymoon

HELP!!  My FI and I are trying to decide between these 2 locations for a September 2012 honeymoon!  The reason we are debating is because we are still young enough to enjoy the theme parks (and I've never been to Florida and want to go), but we both want to go to Hawaii at some point in our lives.  What we are debating is doing Florida now (while we still enjoy theme parks), and Hawaii for our 5 or 10 year anniversary (that way we may appreciate Hawaii more, and can save up money to make it an even more memorable trip)

If we do the Hawaii route we will do Oahu and Maui for islands (we want to see Pearl Harbor, but have heard Maui is GORGEOUS)!!

If we do Florida we are thinking the Universal Studios theme parks, but are unsure what else to do since it is also hurricane season at that time. 

Please feel free to give input on HI vs. FL and input on other attractions near Universal Studios in FL (can be non-theme park related) to help us make our decision!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Florida (Universal) Honeymoon vs. Hawaii Honeymoon

• What is your budget because the two you are picking between are on opposite sides of the money spectrum.

You can certainly do a road trip around Florida to see what it has to offer and starting in Orlando would be a good choice since it is pretty much in the middle of the state.  Also, just because you are going in September does not mean that a hurricane will hit Florida.  I have been to Florida many times in September and have had the most gorgeous weather.  Heck, you could spend thousands on a trip to Hawaii and it could rain the entire time.

• I've been to both.  Although FLA is a great vacation spot it doesn't say honeymoon to me.  Hawaii is an awesome experience and is the definition of honeymoon.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_florida-universal-honeymoon-vs-hawaii-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:d8324967-222e-45bb-9fad-f1891599a732Post:fd26a63a-ee8f-4291-97ee-d43a5d8a91a4">Re: Florida (Universal) Honeymoon vs. Hawaii Honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've been to both.  Although FLA is a great vacation spot it doesn't say honeymoon to me.  Hawaii is an awesome experience and is the definition of honeymoon.
    Posted by HobokenBride2012[/QUOTE]

THIS
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker Learning to make a good brisket is only the beginning. www.shiksatoyenta.wordpress.com
  • If I was given the choice of the two places, I would personally choose Hawaii.  I would choose to go to Florida once we have kids.  Hawaii seems as if it would be more fun as a couple.  Florida would be more fun as a family.  
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_florida-universal-honeymoon-vs-hawaii-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:d8324967-222e-45bb-9fad-f1891599a732Post:30e87f01-08e9-4c76-93fc-7869f86caf77">Florida (Universal) Honeymoon vs. Hawaii Honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]HELP!!  My FI and I are trying to decide between these 2 locations for a September 2012 honeymoon!  The reason we are debating is<strong> because we are still young enough to enjoy the theme parks </strong>(and I've never been to Florida and want to go), but we both want to go to Hawaii at some point in our lives.  What we are debating is doing Florida now (while we still enjoy theme parks), and Hawaii for our 5 or 10 year anniversary (that way we may appreciate Hawaii more, and can save up money to make it an even more memorable trip) If we do the Hawaii route we will do Oahu and Maui for islands (we want to see Pearl Harbor, but have heard Maui is GORGEOUS)!! If we do Florida we are thinking the Universal Studios theme parks, but are unsure what else to do since it is also hurricane season at that time.  Please feel free to give input on HI vs. FL and input on other attractions near Universal Studios in FL (can be non-theme park related) to help us make our decision!!
    Posted by saraschilling88[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I don't really know what you mean by the bolded. People of all ages enjoy theme parks. And some people hate them, even if they are the "right" age for them.</div><div>
    </div><div>Hurricane season doesn't really matter, Orlando rarely gets hit with bad storms. </div><div>
    </div><div>Anyway, you should go to Hawaii. Orlando doesn't really strike me as honeymoon material. 

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_florida-universal-honeymoon-vs-hawaii-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:d8324967-222e-45bb-9fad-f1891599a732Post:7315e1b4-f077-4621-bc4e-33ac7ff17086">Re: Florida (Universal) Honeymoon vs. Hawaii Honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]What is your budget because the two you are picking between are on opposite sides of the money spectrum. You can certainly do a road trip around Florida to see what it has to offer and starting in Orlando would be a good choice since it is pretty much in the middle of the state.  Also, just because you are going in September does not mean that a hurricane will hit Florida.  I have been to Florida many times in September and have had the most gorgeous weather.  Heck, you could spend thousands on a trip to Hawaii and it could rain the entire time.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

We don't exactly have a budget, but when researching stuff to go to Hawaii we were thinking it was getting expensive to just fly out there (without adding in excursions, etc.).  Florida seems within our grasp budget wise, I was a bit nervous about hurricane season, but that is a chance we'd have to take :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it boils down to how much activity outside of the bedroom you want to have.  If you're ok with going nonstop from dawn to dusk and being exhausted from being in the parks all day, then go to FL.  If you're looking for more relaxation then go to HI.

• What I meant by "we are still young enough to enjoy the theme parks" was that at our age (both will be 24 in September) we will still enjoy the roller coasters and Harry Potter land (we both love the books).  When we get a few years older we may not love all that (my parents, for example, used to love theme parks, but now they don't because they don't like the crowds and the heat).

FI also wonders if we would appreciate Hawaii more when we are a bit older.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hawaii seems more honeymoonish to me. I've only been to Disney once and I carried around an autograph book to all the characters- So, I was maybe 6? I know some people absolutely love Disney but I don't think I'd ever go as an adult unless I'm bringing my own children someday. But that's just me, so I voted for Hawaii.

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• OP, I kind of hate all of the age stereotyping running rampant through your posts.  It's pretty offensive. 

That said, you really need to figure out a budget.  Hawaii is significantly more expensive than Orlando (likely double the price, at least), so it's pretty much impossible to answer your question without knowing what you can afford to spend. 
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_florida-universal-honeymoon-vs-hawaii-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:d8324967-222e-45bb-9fad-f1891599a732Post:1b6f2a4b-f665-4a24-a4d8-380daf77baeb">Re: Florida (Universal) Honeymoon vs. Hawaii Honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]If I was given the choice of the two places, I would personally choose Hawaii.  I would choose to go to Florida once we have kids.  Hawaii seems as if it would be more fun as a couple.  Florida would be more fun as a family.  
    Posted by lls31[/QUOTE]

<div>This. The parks are fun, but it doesn't say "honeymoon".</div>
  • Enough of the "it doesn't seem honeymoon enough".  I feel that a honeymoon is whatever you want it to be.  My H and I were originally going to go to Hawaii because it seemed "honeymoonish" but then we were hit by the cost...we decided to go to Key West instead and guess what, we had a blast and didn't think about our failed trip to Hawaii once!  It was still a honeymoon even if it wasn't in a "honeymoon" spot.  A lot of brides also go to Disney for their honeymoon...everyone's tastes are different.

OP, if you and your FI want to go to Universal/Disney and enjoy the parks then do it...it will still be your honeymoon even if others do not feel like it is romantic enough.

Remember, a honeymoon is just a cute name for a vacation.  You don't want to spend a ton of money on a vacation that you won't enjoy just because it is what people consider a "honeymoon" location.

• Thanks for the input ladies!!  We are trying to make our final decision, although I'm kinda leaning more towards Florida right now.  I'd love to go to Hawaii, but I'm not sure our budget can handle it!  What we plan to do is decide what we would do in Florida vs. Hawaii, then figure out cost and decide from there! 

Stephbean- I did not mean to be offensive with the age things I posted.  I was only posting based on my own families experience not using stereotypes, and I didn't think using real examples was considered offensive.  I apologize again, it was lack of judgement on my part.

Also, to those who posted about Florida being a family destination, I agree, but we can always bring future children to Florida if/when they are wanting to go.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We live about 2 hours away from Orlando and are seriously considering going there for a week. We love roller coasters (we are both 47). We just want to go somewhere and relax a bit and also have some fun. There are so many parks in Orlando you will definitely have stuff to do if you so choose. We were thinking about Hawaii also, but decided to wait until we are older. We want "an adventurous" honeymoon while we are young enough to enjoy it! I think as long as you are together it will be an awesome honeymoon no matter where you end up going. Good luck.Smile
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_florida-universal-honeymoon-vs-hawaii-honeymoon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:d8324967-222e-45bb-9fad-f1891599a732Post:a928df7d-db2e-44c8-b21c-c415e8079091">Re: Florida (Universal) Honeymoon vs. Hawaii Honeymoon</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Florida (Universal) Honeymoon vs. Hawaii Honeymoon : We don't exactly have a budget, but when researching stuff to go to Hawaii we were thinking it was getting expensive to just fly out there (without adding in excursions, etc.).  Florida seems within our grasp budget wise, I was a bit nervous about hurricane season, but that is a chance we'd have to take :)
    Posted by saraschilling88[/QUOTE]

I understand why Florida is more appealing.  Flying to Hawaii can be prohibitively expensive.  I think you might be able to find a honeymoon spot a lot more romantic than Orlando, though.  I just googled "romantic Florida honeymoons" and TripAdvisor showed: (1) Miami Beach; (2) Key West; (3) Sanibel Island; (4) Key Largo; (5) Fort Myers; (6) St. Pete; (7) Marco Island.

Have fun and good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards