South Asian Weddings
Options

Getting the party started

Most of my parents friends are Indian, but most of me and Fis friends are American.  The crowds going to be 50/50.  Did you use a Bollywood song to get the dancing started or a hip-hop song?

Re: Getting the party started

• Options
    blue1981blue1981 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Use a Bollywood song with a good beat.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    temurlangtemurlang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I have to admit I used the Black Eyed Peas.  Yes, I know, obvious.

I don't think it matters as long as it's an upbeat song your crowd will like.  We had a very mixed crowd and everyone got on the floor for the bollywood songs, so don't worry that Americans won't dance, they will love it!
  • Options
    Rainbow17Rainbow17 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Any song suggestions?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I honestly can't remember. Is that bad? I think though that we had a slow song that got couples out on the dance floor and then the DJ transitioned to hip hop or something. We also had a live dhol player for a bit during the start of our reception/dance floor opening so that brought people out too because it was different from anything they had ever seen.
    ExerciseMilestone
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    At most of our family weddings, we started out with new bollywood songs that have very good beats to dance too and then transitioned into all American once the crowd died out.  Usually all the Indian Uncles and aunties dance in the beginning and sit down after a while so we tend to start with Indian and end with American.
  • Options
    mimosa1977mimosa1977 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We opened the dance floor a couple of times (1) right after our first dance since we had an upbeat bollywood song we dance to (this got everyone out onto the dance floor)  (2) right after speeches we did a combined father/daughter, mom/son dance for everyone and this got everyone on the dance floor again (3) and then after dinner (this was a bit more difficult but most of our friends came out onto the dance floor after our DJ announced the floor was open again...
  • Options
    MishtiShonaMishtiShona member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd start with a Bollywood song with a good beat...or better yet, to fully blend the styles, a good party song by an Indian artist who sings in English (Raghav, Jay Sean etc.) who will really give a nice mix of desi & western flavor. Later you can mix in some hip hop. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards