Gay Weddings

Not bridesmaid... not best man!

Hi! I am the "bride" in a same sex wedding next fall and looking for some advice for what to call the people that will be up with us during the ceremony. We are each having our closest friend stand with us. I guess it's akin to "Best Man" and "Maitron of Honor." But, I want to do it without such gendered terms. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Re: Not bridesmaid... not best man!

• 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, we asked my son to be best man, and my daughter to be maid of honor.  My daughter agreed right away, but my son said that a best man is a groom's attendant, so he couldn't be one if we didn't have a groom.  He ended up as "dude of honor."

If you're looking for something without gender in it, maybe "honor attendant"?  And if you need to distinguish between them, it could be "Jenn's honor attendant," and "[FI name]'s honor attendant."
  • edited December 2011
    I am just going to word mine as "bridal party"
  • duhbecksterduhbeckster member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I recently read somewhere of a couple that called their attendants "best mates", which I thought was cute.
    MSP Challenge: Favorite Registry Item
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We used honor attendants. Our guys seem to like that term!

Congrats!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • alisonzalisonz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    how about "wedding party"

alison + irene | 10-10-10 | Studio 450

My Big Fat Gay Wedding

Pro Photos
  • edited December 2011
    We've avtually been going through this becasue Ellie is her brother's Best...(I can't use the word we are affectionately using). I'm pretty sure the program will just list the "Wedding Party" with the Bride, Groom, and attendants' names--no titles.

We'll be doing the same since we're each likely going to have one male and one female attendant.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Check out our wedding blog/site!

"Cause every time I try and tell her how I feel/ it comes out "I love you"
  • sweiskopfsweiskopf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having the same program but with a little twist... My FI and I have the same first name (Stephanie) I am at a complete lost as to what to call each side in the program.  Any ideas would be great!

Thanks
  • 2dBride2dBride member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @sweiskopf, I think you're probably going to have to go with "Stephanie [your last initial]" and "Stephanie [her last initial]."  Please tell me neither of you is changing your last name when you get married?
  • edited December 2011
    When i did my wedding program I listed us as groom one and two. I had all female attends and he had all male attends. I still had my maid of honor and he had his best man. I think what ever you guys are comfortable calling the wedding party then go for it.
  • juiceamaphonejuiceamaphone member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    it's al about what's comfortable for the two of you and for your attendats. We ended up with only one attendant each, and are calling them the toungue-in-cheek best man of honor and best maid of honor. :)
  • edited December 2011
    Could they come up with a title for themselves?  They might have some great suggestions. 
  • edited December 2011
    we played with the gender terms -- my best guy friend was called bridesmaid, and my best girl friend was called groomsman. we each had our sisters as "best woman."
  • edited December 2011
    so we divided up our party and we each have a best man, a made of honor, and an MC. the MCs will be doing a lot of talking during the ceremony, hence the name. I would also try, best friend, or since you are the 'bride' how about bride attendants, groom attendants, bride folk. bride's friend, groom's friends etc. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards