Favors

Favors for Guest

How do you feel about not doing favors for guest, but giving a donation?  I really want to do favors but have heard from so many other brides that it's not worth the time and money.  And my fiance wants to donate money.

HELP!!!

Re: Favors for Guest

• trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First go to the sticky at the top that says "curious about donations as favors?"  There's information there.

Second: My opinion on donations as "favors":

Make your donation.  I believe in donations.  I make them myself.  I think they're a good thing to do.

But don't pretend that they're a favor to your guests.  Because they're not.  They're a favor to the organization, and to you.  You're taking the money you'd spend on a little something for your guests and giving it to someone else.  How do you figure that's a favor for your guests?

Honestly, I don't need a favor.  I don't really want a favor.  You're already giving me food, drinks, entertainment.  I don't need a matchbook or m&ms (although I LOVE m&ms) as a thank you.

But please don't in any, way, shape or form think that giving $$ to a charity is somehow doing something for me.

I'd liken it to a guest coming to your wedding and giving you a card that says "In honor of your marriage, I have given a donation to the "eastern micronesia tsunami prevention fund".  It may be important to your guest, but it probably doesn't mean anything to you.  So it's not really a gift for you, is it?
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • janedoe1113ajanedoe1113a member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you donate the money, don't put out little notes saying that's what you did.  Just skip the favor and donate the money.  Guests will not miss the favors.
  • bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Yep, donations should be made in private.  If you want to donate in lieu of favors, you don't need to broadcast it.
  • edited December 2011

Donations are fine but they are not favors. If you decide to donate in lieu if a favor, do it in private. You mentioned that your FI want to donate but you want to give out favors. You could always do an inexpensive favor (like candy) and then donate the rest of your favor budget. That way you are both happy.

September 2011 November Siggy Challenge: First Dance Photo (I still haven't uploaded all of my wedding pictures, so here's a picture of what happens when you mix me, my bridesmaids, a man who hates to dance, and an open bar). imageimage

101 in 1001
  • dees14dees14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree that nobody will miss the favors. I mean, to be honest, I've never been excited about a favor I've gotten. Your money is better spent on a charity. I've seen a few weddings have little placards on the table that say that charity they donated to. I always like seeing that. I don't see anything wrong with it.
  • tana1983tana1983 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think donations are absolutely wonderful!  How did we get this place as a society where people would prefer candy or a keychain as a favor, instead of a donation, I will never understand.  I really think the idea of favors is ridiculous.  I just put mine in a box in my closet. Last year I decided to donate them.  Do what is in your heart or else you'll surely be sorry.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards