Just Engaged and Proposals

Engagement Party

We got engaged at the end of December but winter is such a hard time to have people over the house so I was thinking of having a low key cookout at our house this summer, inviting the families, and calling it an engagement party.  Is it too late for that?  Is it rude to even have an engagement party?

Re: Engagement Party

• If you want to have a BBQ during the summer for the families to get together, great but do NOT call it an engagement party.  Just like how you would not host our own bridal shower, you do not host your own engagement party
  • redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited January 2010
    Throwing your own E party is a little rude/ bad etiquette. (As sometimes people bring gifts) . Families or friends traditional host the party. I would definitely have the party and not call it an E party, so your families can mingle and you can enjoy good BBQ. Also just FYI, only those invited to the wedding should be invited to pre-wedding parties (like E parties).

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • It isn't rude to have an E-party, but it is rude to throw your own.  They are typically held in the first couple of months after you are engaged, so if someone wants to throw one, they'll probably offer soon.

If your families haven't met yet, this summer might be a great opportunity to throw a back yard BBQ to introduce them. 
  • Don't throw parties in your own honor.  If someone wants to throw an e-party for you, that's fine.  Otherwise, just have a BBQ and leave the engagement out of it.
  • Typically most people don't have an engagement party, unless they are having a long engagement anyway. Not sure if that is the case with you or not. My FI and I didn't  have an engagement party, but we are having a house warming party where our bridal party is all invited and can get to know each other then before all the wedding festivities.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it sounds like a wonderful idea!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards