Wedding Reception Forum

Is a dance floor necessary?

So there's going to be a lot of dancing at my reception (I even picked a fun dress to dance in)! However, my reception site is an outdoor pavilion and does not offer a dance floor for parties hosted in the pavilion. I'm personally bummed. My mom says it's not necessary - people will dance wherever there is room and there is a concrete base to the pavilion. I checked into it, and it would be minimum $500 plus installation to bring in a dance floor and our budget is already very tight.

What do you think? Would you still dance? Would you miss it? Or not even notice?

Re: Is a dance floor necessary?

• If it's carpet then I say pay the extra money for the floor. I wouldn't want to dance on carpet. I mean that to sound as nice as possible, but I love dancing and I wouldn't want to dance on carpet.
  • People won't dance if there isn't a defined dance floor.  Really, they won't.  So if you want people to dance, rent the floor.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Thanks girls! It will be a flat surface (free of debris) and a big defined space in front of the DJ. There will definitely be plenty of room. My only concern is the "kick of their shoes" crowd - will the lack of wood dance floor stop them? And who needs that random uncle busting out the worm anyway, right? LOL
  • Habs2HartHabs2Hart member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2010
    If you are going with the concrete floor, try to do a flip flop basket so those that want to "kick off their shoes" can do so and do it comfortably. It will be much less money than a dance floor if you get them at the right place.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think a dance floor is necessary from what you described
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards