Texas-San Antonio

**Recommendations for Venue and Budget**HELP!

Hello Knotties! This is my first post and I am in need of some serious help. My FI and I are trying to plan a wedding in SA (where we're both from) from California (where we both live) and I am getting totally paranoid about cost. We want to have the wedding in Nov., and are really struggling with venues. We have budgeted about $8000 for food and venue for about 100-150 guests, and are looking at Spring Hills, Westin La Cantera and the Bushnell. Anyone ever had a wedding or know whether any of these places would come close being within our number?

A thousand thank you's for your help!!

Re: **Recommendations for Venue and Budget**HELP!

• rammo01rammo01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been to the Spring Hill Event Open House and I would recommend them.
    Spring Hill Event Center is within your budget.  I would recommend them because the venue includes alot, ceremony and reception site, catering, tables, chairs, linens, centerpieces, DJ and more.  Plus you can bring in your own alcohol. 
    I think Westin La Cantera will be out of your budget and the Bushnell only includes the ceremony/reception site and 150 guest will be a tight fit.
  • kcb10kcb10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have had 2 friends get married at Spring Hill Event Center and both were very happy.  The place is gorgeous and should comfortably fit that many guests - I'm not sure how many people were at their weddings, I'm terrible at estimating!  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    the bushnell will be a tight fit for 150 as said above but it is beautiful, however might be a little cold in november.

Full disclosure, I am a knottie who also works as a wedding consultant and photographer for the Convent and their in house caterer, Feedback Catering.

The Convent is a venue in san antonio that will definitely fit your budget. it's just east of downtown, with indoor outdoor space, an in house caterer that wil work with any budget and a really unique building and memorable building. You can reach the convent by calling 210-270-8999. Let them know Jessica sent you.

You may also look at Granberry Hiils, who has a lot of caterers on their approved list (feedback catering included)

Another beautiful venue is the Khoeler House, owned by San Antonio College. The indoor, outdoor would accommodate the guest count and it is definitely within reach. And no approved caterer list.

:) Happy hunting.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you, Everyone, for the feedback and suggestions!! I just made an appt with Spring Hills and am looking into Koehler House and Convent.
  • geminagigeminagi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also try Garden Heights Chapel and Country Cottage. Spring Hill would definitely work. Are you needing help in finding other vendors? Photographers, caterers, Dj's?
  • edited December 2011
    Actually, I was wondering who I should go to for our cake. Any recommendations for who I should contact and how much I should pay for it?
  • edited December 2011
    I've been to a few friends weddings that were total disasters.  Stay totally away from The Gardens at Westgreen and Scenic Springs in Helotes.  These guys bust out the Decibel Meter.  Readings are to be taken from the property line which means the street or curb.  But both of these vendors take the reading from approximately 50 feet in front or away from the music.  There is no way you or your guests can have a good.  Total party killers.  Your better off with a boom box at these venues. 

Serengeti Resort and La Escondida Ranch are great venues and have good and helpful staff.  Just my two cents.
  • edited December 2011
    In regards to cake...I would highly recommend Bettyjane's Bakeshoppe.  All of their cakes are made from scratch and are the yuumiest I've tried in SA.  Gook luck!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

Does Betty Jane's do wedding toppers also? We dont want to pay a lot to have a topper made, and was hoping that the baker could make it out of fondant or some sugar based material, but not sure if they do that.

• edited December 2011
    Cake, try the Sweet Spot Cakery, Converse.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I would recommend Creations Cakes in Pleasanton.
  • edited December 2011
    A great venue to check out is the Old San Francisco Steakhouse.  Sounds weird,  but they have a ballroom, and it was cheaper for us to go through them than to literally rent a private hall and do it ourselves--and they include just about everything, including some really classy basic decorations.  We're getting married on a Wednesday (the day before THanksgiving, weird, I know) and they're charging us $700 for the entire room/rental, including colored tablecovers, centerpieces, stage, everything...their centerpieces are tall cylinder vases filled with water and orchids inside.  She mentioned they sometimes do floating candles on the top but depends what you're going for.  The room itself has chandeliers and all sorts of character, so we'd rather just decorate a little there vs. a lot elsewhere.

The food isn't the cheapest, but its fair...starts around $17 a person, but let me tell you it's actually good food.  The person who owns it cooks for private air charters (rich people, big business, etc.) so her standards are high and we were pleasantly surprised as the food for weddings is typically not amazing.  The room can accommodate up to 200 theoretically, but having seen it set up for that many-that's tight.  100-150 people would be ideal for the space.  It's also a unique place, with hotels nearby that will provide transportation to/from venue.  Only downside is that it's not on the Riverwalk, which out of town guests may really enjoy.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! We decided to book with Spring Hill because it was well within our budget, and being that we are planning this from CA, the fact that they take care of everything without charging extra to do it was a total bonus. Plus Sara is awesome and I really liked talking with her. She was really nice, and so on top of things, which is a relief because its hard enough when you are planning  a wedding in the same city and you need to count on people to do what they say. Its even more stressful when you are doing it from 1200 miles away!

Still looking for a cake place, so if you have any more suggestions - especially for where I can get a custom gum/sugar paste topper made - let me know!
  • DeadUtopiaDeadUtopia member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went with Seventh Heaven Cakes. Our tasting was amazing and she's going to be working from a design that I drew myself. Her website shows a lot of her previous cakes. Also, check out sanantonioweddings.com , they have a lot of local vendors for you to take a look at along with virtual tours and website info.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm still in search of a cake myself, but if you can't find one that will do a cake topper/reasonably priced cake topper, try going to a craftstore. they are all about diy brides so they have some inexpensive pieces (like well under $20).
    *~*naomi*~*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards