Canada-Ontario

Looking to keep costs down - DIY ideas?

Hi ladies, we are looking to keep our costs down for about a 100 person wedding. Any great DIY ideas?! Thanks and happy planning! - Jill

Re: Looking to keep costs down - DIY ideas?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_looking-to-keep-costs-down-diy-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:1b8c8800-54e6-4c36-8427-212609cf23abPost:79663a6d-aad8-43dd-a7ba-03dd517111cf">Looking to keep costs down - DIY ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi ladies, we are looking to keep our costs down for about a 100 person wedding. Any great DIY ideas ?! Thanks and happy planning! - Jill
    Posted by jilleq[/QUOTE]
    This will depend - what are you willing to cut costs on? You have to decide what's important for you.  For example, fresh flowers weren't that important to me - my bouquet was a brooch bouquet and I got beautiful crepe paper flowers for my bridesmaids but bought fresh roses for boutonnieres for the groomsmen and for the corsages for our mothers. 

Some other costs I did myself was my makeup, I made my own invitations and wedding programs and did the decor for the wedding myself. 
  • souptinsouptin member
    First Comment
    edited January 2013
    We saved money here and there a few highlights;

I didnt care about invites, H and I found 2 packags of print yourself packages for $10 each- on clearance at winners. they were nice and we customized them ourselves so $20 vs the $400 a friend of mine spent on hers for a similar sized wedding.

Our venue (The arts and letters club) was beautiful on its own so we didnt add center pieces

My dress: A brides project, a cool shop that has new and used dresses for a fraction of the cost and all money goes toward cancer charities-my dress was worth over $2500, I paid under $800 with tax

passed on seat covers which were $4 a chair
    spent $10 on a guest book-trust me when I say you can easily spend over $100 on one and it WILL be ignored-ours had maybe 3 pages of signatures in it.

DIY'd a card box-total cost of it was $5
    DIY'd favours, we made jars of homemade pickles with our own lable on it-they were a HUGE hit, we are getting requests to make more haha

hope this helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • - For things like invites, party favours, signs, other decor..I saved money by purchasing only when Michaels was offering a 50% coupon. Which is about once a month I think. I saved tons that way

- My venue offered an all inclusive price - wedding invites (huge selection), DJ, 3 tier cake, open bar, full dinner service, cocktail reception food, ceremony site (chairs included)
    This is probably where we saved the most money. We always wanted to be married outdoors, specifically a golf club. But after siting a few locations we found it too pricey. We went with a countryside venue that offered an outdoor ceremony site and indoor reception hall and it was perfect!

-Dress - shop sale rack or on Kijiji

-Rings - we were able to cut a better deal on our wedding bands by going back to where my fiance bought my engagement ring

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you all for these great ideas! Keep em coming :)
  • There's a WagJag deal for a 4-hour photo booth for $599...they normally run around $1200.
  • Thats a great price Jewell!

we got our photobooth on a special deal as well- i think in total we spent $750 (taxes in) and got 4 hours, all props and an album with a seperate set of all the prints as well as all prints on a USB

the regular cost of that was $1500!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That is a great price! We found a guy that offers a package deal - DJ and photobooth for $800!!
  • Who was this deal with?

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_canada-toronto_looking-to-keep-costs-down-diy-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:613Discussion:1b8c8800-54e6-4c36-8427-212609cf23abPost:27af6446-737f-4e05-acbe-9ed2ecf4591a">Re: Looking to keep costs down - DIY ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There's a WagJag deal for a 4-hour photo booth for $599...they normally run around $1200.
    Posted by Jewel224[/QUOTE]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards