Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Grooms Cake?

Seeing all the different fun grooms cakes out there, I have really thought about surprising my man with one at our wedding. Since he loves his accoustic guitar, I thought about doing that. But there's only one difficulty; money! We are already on such a tight budget I don't know where I could get a thousand dollars from to make a guitar cake! What are your ideas or thoughts on this? Should I forget it? Is there some way to make it cheaper? Please help 'cause I would love to get him one!!!

Laughing

Miss Andrea-Thomas-To-Be!

Re: Grooms Cake?

• JadziaDaxJadziaDax member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2011
    If the cake ends up being $1,000, then I would forget about buying it- especially if it isn't in the budget. You've gotten some good ideas in the previous posts so I would suggest looking around for a more reasonable price. If you're not buying it through your baker, I wouldn't say it's for a wedding.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I know some things are a little more pricey out there in CA(sister lives in southern CA) but I can't even begin to wrap my head around that much for a grooms cake. Like a PP said, unless it's from Ace of Cakes or something 1k it too much. If you're or FI is really set on having a grooms cake but can't afford a guitar chaped cake, how about a reg cake like a sheet cake but in whatever size you would need with a big guitar on top of it? If you wanted, you could even have little ones all around the sides of the cake too. Just an idea or 2 to try and help you out.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_grooms-cake-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:41ae19c5-4bbc-4b21-a8ea-26aab4de3447Post:6c79ddd7-d900-4ebd-bcb1-a9c0fad5b6b2">Re: Grooms Cake?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hmm I doubt it would be that much.. ours is less than $200, but some ideas for you.. If you go through the people that do your wedding cake alot of times they have discounts for multiple cakes or "related cakes" as in grooms cake, bridal shower cake, etc. Also dont have it made to serve a ton of people. <strong>My FI's cake is a Vikings logo</strong>..that is said to serve 50 people. Also maybe if you dont go to a place that specializes in wedding cakes it would be cheaper. Maybe a local store like a Sams Club, Wal mart, etc. I imagine they can make a cake in the shape of a guitar!! Good luck with this!!
    Posted by bigday111111[/QUOTE]

Do you by chance have a picture of this?! Or is it something the baker hasn't done? I just recently decided to do a groom's cake and FI loves the Vikings.

OP- If the quotes you get end up being expensive, and you're stuck on having a groom's cake, change your idea. Like PP said, a photo cake would be nice if you decorated it. I am stuck on having a groom's cake, although money is tight for us also. I plan to find SOMETHING that he will be happy with, that I can afford. Also, I'm pretty sure if I spent more than 200-300 bucks on it, FI would tell me afterwards "you shouldn't have done that, I liked the surprise, but that was a lot of money for it" or something along those lines.
  • JCM10JCM10 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    We have a really complicated grooms cake (not Ace of Cakes by any means, though) that is only costing $210 for 80 servings. I think you'd be surprised if you actually priced them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards