North Carolina-Outer Banks

Beach Nourishment Project....Kind of Freaking Me Out!!!

Ummmmm so yea....I get this email today from the Mgmt company that we are renting our beach house from.  The bad news is they are starting at MP 18 and working their way back up to MP 11 between mid-June and end of September.  So that means our beach house at MP 15 for a wedding in mid-September could be affected by this which means massive pipes could interfere with the wedding.  I love my obx and am all for this but can I have a WTF moment here?  Grrrrrrr.....

Nags Head Beach Nourishment Project

You are receiving this because you are vacationing in the Town of Nags Head between mid-June and the end of September, 2011.

The Town of Nags Head has recently announced that they will begin a “beach nourishment” project in mid-June of this year encompassing a 10 mile stretch of beach from Bonnett St. (Mile Post 11) to the southern end of Nags Head (Mile Post 21).  It is our understanding that this process will move swiftly along the beach (weather and equipment dependent) and that not everyone in Nags Head will be affected by this much needed project but in the event you are it should only be for a very short period (one to three days).

Rental guests can get the most up to date beach nourishment project information at www.townofnagshead.net/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC=">www.TownofNagsHead.net. Work will begin south of Outer Banks Fishing Pier near milepost 18 from approximately mid June through late July. It is difficult to pin down the date any area will be affected until the project is underway and things like weather and the number of dredges working will be factors.

The beach in front of one house should only be affected for one to three days if at all. As the contractor finishes work on a section of the beach, they will re-open where they have finished and move on. So, even though a 400-500 foot section of beach will be affected for pump out operations, these sections will move often as they finish the work. In parts of July (after July 4th) and August we could have three areas of the beach affected at a time because there will several dredges working concurrently.

The Town of Nags Head understands this is a tough time of year to conduct this project. However, the dredging companies would not agree to perform this work off our shores in the winter here, the conditions are just too rough.

(Here is my favorite part of all of this):

There will probably be a pipe on the beach throughout the summer. The pipe will be located on the dry beach and there will be sand bridges so that people can walk over the pipe to the water. Once a section of beach is complete, there will be plenty of room for people seaward of the pipe.

Ohhhh thats just awesome!  That's exactly what I wanted, my guests to have to walk over a sand bridge with a massive pipe across the beach....mmmmmmy yesss!  Not :(

The plan is for all work to be complete by October 1.

This is the area’s first ever large scale beach nourishment project; visitors will have a chance to see how nourishment construction works and see history in the making. We are all hopeful there will be minimal disruption and we can look forward to many years of enjoyment on our beautiful and dynamic coastline.

Thank you for your understanding that the goal of this is to protect our beaches so that we can provide the best family vacation destination for you and your families. We appreciate your patience and look forward to seeing you in the coming months. Please visit www.townofnagshead.net/" target="_blank">www.TownofNagsHead.net for the most up to date information on this project

Re: Beach Nourishment Project....Kind of Freaking Me Out!!!

• kford30kford30 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My daughter is getting Married June 4 and she posted this several months ago, as someone she spoke with about what permits (if any) were needed and they told her - we shouldn't be affected as we are early June.  Hope they move swiftly and all will be out of the way until your big day.
    hang in there...
  • edited December 2011
    i'M IN THE SAME BOAT!!! Our wedding is Sept 20..they better done by then...I dont know what I am going to do if I have to deal with this stupid pipe.
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    The good news is that the pipe will be closest to the dunes so when doing a wedding, the guests will be looking out towards the ocean as the couple recites their vows.....meaning the pipe will be behind everyone.  They also say that they will be creating a sand-bridge....so we can only cross our fingers they are done with our portions of the beach for our wedding days.

What MP are you at Krhoy20?

• sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    OBX,
    Thanks for posting this. I did see lots of construction while I was in town this weekend. Not so much on the beach, mostly the roads. But what I did see on the beach was not very invasive. The areas on the sand where the ceremony would be won't be affected because there's a good amount of distance from water to dunes. I wouldn't worry much.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    Thx hon and I'm so glad you had such a great weekend....isn't it just a lil slice of paradise?

• edited December 2011
    OBX2011...we are at MP 14.3 to be exact. Whats your date?? You're at MP 15??
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    edited December 2011
    4 days before you.....9/16/11  Yayyyyy :)

We are at MP 15 at The Village at Nags Head....right down from you :)

• edited December 2011
    I've been kind of freaking out about this since I first heard about the possibility of the project last November.  I'm just happy that Nags Head finally posted a schedule on their website:
    http://www.townofnagshead.net/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={9BA20C54-6A4A-4039-8FCA-463771B8970E}

Luckily for me they seem to be starting MP 19.8 instead of MP 11.  We'll be around MP 13.5 the week of Jun 26-Jul 3. 
    It looks like (assuming all goes according to schedule) they should be wrapping up by Sept 13 b/n MP 14.3 and 15.  So, OBX2011, it might affect your week, but hopefully not your wedding day!  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards