Rhode Island

Catholic Churches in Newport for Wedding

We know that most catholic churches in Newport do not accomodate weddings from out of towners. We have checked out St. Lucy's (Middletown) and St. Mary's (Bristol), but given that this will be a summer wedding, we are trying to avoid the traffic and time involved going into another town by staying in Newport where the reception will be. We want a church wedding as opposed to having a wedding at the venue site.

We are now trying to contact St. Augustine's and St. Joseph's, both in Newport as we heard they do allow non-parishioners to wed at their churches. Anyone have any experience with either of these churches?

Also checked into Salve Regina Chapel, but the fee is $3000 for outsiders.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Catholic Churches in Newport for Wedding

• There's a chapel at the Hotel Viking. Not sure of the fee.
    Try Trinity Church, too.
    Or St. Barbabas in Portsmouth.
    We're selling some things left from our wedding! http://weddinggoodsforsale.weebly.com/ Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest! Anniversary
  • I am using Jesus Saviour and their packet says you or your parents must be a member. My siblings got married at St. Joseph's....but that was our church as kids...new pastor so maybe rules have changed. Organist there is fabulous!
  • I can tell you by experience that St Joe's and St Agustine's require you to be a parishiner.  Despite the fact that my husbands family goes to St Joe's religiously as do my parents but because we weren't parishiners they told me to go elsewhere.  Fr O'Brien was so welcoming at St Lucy's despite the fact we did not attend church ( however I did go to school there as a child and made all my sacraments there as well) he is very open to "outsiders" . When all was said and done I was so glad I chose St Lucy's because Father O'Brien brought the house down with his service!!!!  Couldn't have asked for a better ceremony!  Good luck!  BTW, our reception was at Ft Adams in August and there was no issues going from Middletown to Newport.
  • kathanddave,
    How recently did you inquire about St. Joseph's and St. Augustine's? I called Jesus Savior Church today and they recommended these two churches as well as St. Lucy's and St. Mary's in Bristol as accepting out of towners. I am in the process of contact with both parishes, so I will let you know what is the latest situation.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This was a year ago however I am a native Newporter and I do not mean to cast a shadow on planning but St Augustine's and St. Joe's Pastors are known for being user friendly only to those who are parishioners (spelling) and attend their church on a regular basis.  Definately check into it I hope they have changed their practices.
  • I think your best bet is St. Augustine's.  I've attended weddings at St. Augustine's of two separate couples were from New York (as well as their families).  I once attended a wedding at St. Augustine's where the groom was Jewish & the bride was Catholic.  They were required to bring their own priest.  

• I have to say I know St. Mary's in Bristol will wed anyone, parishoner or not.
    My friends got married there (I won't even go into it but they basically lied to get married there since her fiance hadn't been confirmed) and the priest allowed it---
    and then we went to their reception at Oceancliff.  I have a bone to pick with St Marys because they turned my fiance and I away because he had an annullment when he was 18,

Their wedding was on a Friday, but the traffic wasn't so bad going from Bristol to Newport- because we went over the Mt Hope Bride and through middletown.
    www.weddedeverafter.blogspot.com
    167 Invited image 34 Attending image Declined 4 image Still Waiting 129 image
  • Yes,  St. Mary's in Bristol will take non parishioners and the church is beautiful! Our concern is the traffic, although this will be a Sunday afternoon wedding, not a Saturday. I have heard going through Middletown is the better way to go instead of through Newport.
    I did get in touch with St. Augustine's Church. They will take non parishioners as well, but only have Saturday weddings and only at 2pm. Since we want a Sunday, this won't work for us. I am still waiting to hear back from St. Joes in Newport.
    St. Lucy's in Middletown and St. Barnabus in Portsmouth also take out of towners, but  they are almost as far as Bristol and we still think St. Mary's in Bristol is the most beautiful.

i2012ido,
    An annullment should not be held against your fiance. It means the marriage was never recognized in the Catholic church. Understand your frustration!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards