Destination Weddings Discussions
Options

getting nervous about traveling with my dress

Ok...we are getting married on Wednesday and Im beginning to freak out about taking my dress on the plane.  Both flights are completely booked so my fear is that its going to have to go in an overhead compartment.  Im thinking about seeing if it will fit in a smaller carryon suitcase (staying in the garments bag).  My fear is that the flight attendants will be mean, not let me hang (or there will be no room) and I will have to store it overhead.  If thats the case and since the flight it full, dont you think it would be best protected from other luggage if it was in a small suitcase?  Im brining a handheld steamer with me to get out any wrinkles regardless.  This is the only thing that I am super nervous about and is totally out of my control

Re: getting nervous about traveling with my dress

• Options
    We've had a few brides that flew with their dresses in the overhead (laid across the top of everyone's luggage) and it was fine.  Don't stress girl!  Esp since you will have a steamer!  I've even read that some brides hung their dress in the bathroom and ran a hot shower that helped steam out any wrinkles as well :-)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I'm nervous about that too. I've heard brides say that they laid their dress on top the suitcases in the overhead when there's no closet, or no room in the closet without any problems. 

I was worried about mean flight attendants too, but when I really thought about times I've traveled, I've never run into mean flight attendants. Gate agents, TSA, sure. But flight attendants are usually pretty nice. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I put my dress in a carry-on piece, and I'm SO glad I did!  It was recommended by the bridal shop to just roll it up and then put it in the carry-on (while still in the garment bag).  It made it a lot easier to go through security and walk around with it in the airport.   

There was another bride on one of our flights, and she hung her dress up in the first class closet, and she ended up getting called up to remove it since there was no room once everyone from first class was boarded, and then since all of the carry-ons were already jammed in, they really had to just shove her dress in the overhead since there wasn't room to nicely lay it out. 

I know tons of people have had no issue whatsoever, but that was the one thing I wasn't willing to risk since I would have been way too stressed out. 
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_destination-weddings_getting-nervous-about-traveling-with-my-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:54Discussion:f97276ad-b258-48f2-a7fc-e7828b6f145ePost:7b114943-252d-47a8-b625-5bd66cdc57bd">Re: getting nervous about traveling with my dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]I put my dress in a carry-on piece, and I'm SO glad I did!  It was recommended by the bridal shop to just roll it up and then put it in the carry-on (while still in the garment bag).  It made it a lot easier to go through security and walk around with it in the airport.    There was another bride on one of our flights, and she hung her dress up in the first class closet, and she ended up getting called up to remove it since there was no room once everyone from first class was boarded, and then since all of the carry-ons were already jammed in, they really had to just shove her dress in the overhead since there wasn't room to nicely lay it out.  I know tons of people have had no issue whatsoever, but that was the one thing I wasn't willing to risk since I would have been way too stressed out. 
    Posted by saric83[/QUOTE]

yes, this is me too.  Everything I've read from other peoples experiences make me think I wont have a problem but that still doesn't stop me from thinking the worst.  This is the one thing I find myself stressing about the most.   Plus I dont want to have to tote this thing around an airport all day.  Thank you for posting this, I think Im just going to leave it in the garment bag and put it in a carryon.  If it gets wrinkled, it gets wrinkled.  But at least it wont be smushed and and manhandled!  Thanks again
  • Options
    Hey i just got married a month ago, and had a connecting flight... The first flight was over booked so i had to fold it in the closet why we couldn't hasn't it I'm not sure, so it was folded in a pile with about 4 gowns. The second flight was also full but the gate attendant let me and a few other brides Yeh there were 5 on that flight very on board with first class and hang them. Between both flights and a lot off carrying it around, the gown was fine! But do whatever makes you comfortable! If you do carry it, ask the people at the desk before you board if its a full flight while holding your dress, more times than not they notice and key you board earlier from what I'm seeing... GL
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Don't count on being able to nicely hang it or place it on top of luggage in overhead bins. My flight attendants were not accommodating at all and we had to actually go back to the gate once on the plane bc the witch of a flight attendant was saying my dress counted as a carry on item- meaning we had to check one piece of carry on we were not planning on. By the time we got to our destination my dress was in a heap at the bottom of the dress bag. I'd say put it in a suitcase if possible. Good luck!
  • Options
    There's nothing to worry about. I wasn't able to hang my dress and just laid it on top of the suitcases in the overhead compartments. Wasn't a big deal and everything was fine. Don't stress or freak-out over something there's no reason to. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards