Minnesota-Minneapolis and St. Paul
Options

NWR Poll - Use of words

Got into a discussion with FI this morning when he was driving with his nephew, who's three. We've had this disscussion several times on whether the word crap is a swear word/innappropriate or an okay alternative to swearing. I brought it up again since his nephew was with him. He said that I should poll you all to see who you agreed with, so here I am.

Re: NWR Poll - Use of words

• Options
    izzyjenniizzyjenni member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As a teacher, I consider crap inappropriate.  It is what like to call potty talk.  I know this because once during my first year of teaching when I was upset about tons of trash found all over my classroom floor, I used the word by saying, "this room has so much crap on the floor!  Pick it up"  The kids all went "ooooooohhhh".   So I had to apology for using the word and told them that I shouldn't say such a potty word again.   I teach 2nd grade mind you.  So in terms of 3 year olds...yes it is a potty word not appropriate.  With adults, I still say it...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    shameless_adshameless_ad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's inappropriate in certain company - I wouldn't use it around kids, but I do use it myself in adult company.

I'm also a teacher (8th grade, though) and I do not let my students use it in my room.  This also applies to pissed, and shut up.
    Bio - Updated 7/25/10
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 284 Invited image 182 Attending image 96 Declined image 6 Not yet replied
  • Options
    lboerner88lboerner88 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't consider it a swear word...I say it as a substitute all the time. I agree that it probably shouldn't be said in front of children, but I think around adults/older kids it is fine. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't consider it a swear at all.  If Rachel on "Friends" is allowed to say it to the world, how bad can it be?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards