Connecticut
Options

Venue suggestions?

Does anyone have any venues they'd like to suggest/rave about?

We're looking at about $100/person and a traditional, classy ballroom type venue but nothing that feels like a wedding factory.
Bio!
Updated 8/9!

Re: Venue suggestions?

• Options
    rswan412rswan412 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Mystic Marriott is Beautiful......St. Clement's Castle is also great!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Don't know what area of CT, but we are going to be at the Riverview in Simsbury. In their off season, which starts in November, is $85pp w/ open bar! And its beautiful!
  • Options
    Carebear62584Carebear62584 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married at Woodwinds in Branford and that's exactly how I would describe it.  They have beautiful grounds and 3 places outside to have your ceremony.  There are 2 rooms which you can choose to have your reception and there are 2 very nice bars in the foyer and a staircase that splits to go to 2 bridal suites at the top.  The weddings are staggered by at least an hour and a half so you won't even have the same cocktail hour as the wedding in the other room. 

We got the 2011 pricing because we booked in December and they hadn't come out with a new menu yet so it may have changed.  We paid just over $100 person including tax and gratuity for the 2nd highest package.  This includes: 5 hours open bar, wine on the tables all night, venetian table, 10 hors d'erves, 5 courses (i think), 4 entree choices, cake, and probably some things I'm forgetting.  Definitely check into them.

What area are you looking in?  That might narrow down the suggestions you receive.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Gershon Fox Ballroom. It give you seperate spaces for your cocktail hour and reception. They only have one wedding a day. They also have a very well known chef. They will change your menu based on what you want and their suggestions are just guide lines only.  They also have an attached parking garage as well, that guests do not have to pay for, which is a huge benefit in the Hartford area. 

Farmington Gardens is new and very nice as well. I just had a visit there and really thought it was beautiful, but it's more on the rustic side, kind of lol. It's hard to explain take a peek at pics on line

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    jaime10285jaime10285 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great River Golf Club in Milford is about $106/person plus tax and gratuity.  It has a beautiful ballroom and they have been more than accomodating with any request we've had so far!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Mystic Mariott.. We are getting married elsewhere but were really impressed with the grounds for what the prices were...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kls114kls114 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We LOVE LOVE LOVE Cascades! Could not say enough about it! They venue is gorgeous, the staff is amazing to work with and the presentation/food is amazing! Highly suggest!

http://www.cascade-banquets.com/ordereze/intro.html
    ~Miss.~
    ~Mrs.~
    **Password: kls114**
    Photobucket
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Highly recommand my venue the Waterview. Their per person rate is a little higher than $100 but they don't charge the 19-20% gratuaity like most venues so it ends up being cheaper than a lot of the places that are on the same level. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Gershon Fox is a great one...I also love The Society Room in Hartford if you want a very "grand" room
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_venue-suggestions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:65Discussion:23631a86-2db2-4075-8118-feb5d5cb8b80Post:5eff40fe-6e4d-4295-911c-1e1825850766">Re: Venue suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The Gershon Fox Ballroom. It give you seperate spaces for your cocktail hour and reception. They only have one wedding a day. They also have a very well known chef. They will change your menu based on what you want and their suggestions are just guide lines only.  They also have an attached parking garage as well, that guests do not have to pay for, which is a huge benefit in the Hartford area.  Farmington Gardens is new and very nice as well. I just had a visit there and really thought it was beautiful, but it's more on the rustic side, kind of lol. It's hard to explain take a peek at pics on line
    Posted by mwitter80[/QUOTE]

Ditto! The Gershon Fox Ballroom is gorgeous, their food is amaze and the coordiantor Jessica is wonderful to work with. Also, check out the Society Room, it's beautiful. Their coordinator Dana is great too! Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Another vote for the Gershon Fox Room!! Absolutely love it there, and it sounds like just what you're looking for! 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Check out Farmington Gardens in Farmington. I am getting married there next year. I am going to be the only person getting married there that day! I have the entire Saturday to myself so tha tI can add my little touches to the there main room prior to our reception! The greenhouse/cocktail room is gorgeous!
    John & Christine - 7/14/2012 - Getting Married at the new Farmington Gardens! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    jdboden73jdboden73 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For something a little more rustic but still very elegant you could try Bill Miller's Catle in Branford. I love the open beams and the leaded windows and working fireplaces. Not at all like a regular venue and definitely not like a wedding factory. Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm a Gershon Fox bride - LOVE LOVE it and can't wait for our October wedding!!
  • Options
    dlholmes2260dlholmes2260 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    the bond ballroom will fit in your budget and it has great views of the park and city!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Our venue is Saybrook Point Inn and Spa and we LOVE it.  Can't wait to have our reception there!  Liz, the lady in charge there, is awesome!  She is making things a lot less stressful.  I highly recommend saybrook point and liz to work with.
  • Options
    IrishcurlsIrishcurls member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_connecticut_venue-suggestions-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:65Discussion:23631a86-2db2-4075-8118-feb5d5cb8b80Post:c5fde0ce-72dd-4aa6-987c-73902e868f8a">Re: Venue suggestions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]the bond ballroom will fit in your budget and it has great views of the park and city!
    Posted by dlholmes2260[/QUOTE]
    And I'll let you know how it goes in 19 days! They've been great to work with once you get past the website :) 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We're thinking of 3 choices....Waterview in Monroe ; Cascade in Hamden or Woodwinds in Branford.  Decisions...decisions! Laughing

• Options
    edited December 2011
    New haven lawn club
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards