Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

The wedding is over

So the wedding is over and it was a wonderful day! There was so much that went right that it seems petty to be upset over anything that happened. But as usual there were a few things that went wrong. The directors messed up the ques for the groomsmen and one of the bridesmaids, I forgot to give the minister the scripture I wanted read during the ceremony, and the bubble machine was broken (getting a refund on that one). But the one things that I am having a hard time getting over is my MILs "off-white" dress. it was basically the same color as mine, plus she never said a word to me on the wedding day. 

So there it is, its nothing really major and at the end of the day I was married to the love o fmy life! 
~Emily~

Re: The wedding is over

• Did your mom call FMIL and then FMIL just ignored what your mom said?  Or did your mom not call FMIL?

For anyone reading this who is still in the planning stages, the MOB should pick out her dress first, and then MOB calls MOG about attire:

Q. Does the mother of the bride usually call the mother of the groom after she buys her dress?
    A. If the bride’s family plans to uphold wedding etiquette, then yes, you should expect a phone call from the mother of the bride.

Read more: Mother of the Groom: Finding Your Dress Q&ATheKnot.com - http://wedding.theknot.com/bridesmaids-mother-of-the-bride/mother-of-the-bride/articles/mother-of-the-groom-attire.aspx#ixzz27k0eLkwo
  • Kristen, I think that any color her MIL would have worn would have been ok-- it was tacky of your MIL to wear white but she's the one looking silly. Congrats! And remember- your married in real life! Yay!
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Kristin...that ish does not happen in real life.  Only in your 1940's world. 
  • I am glad I learned about the color of her dress when we were out picking DHs tux. Otherwise I might not have had the chance to wipe the shock off my face before she saw it. 

And kristin - yes my mom did let my MIL know the color of her dress. 
    ~Emily~
  • My mother and MIL wore whatever dress they wanted (they wore our wedding colours). I don't know if this is the norm but my mothers did not call one another to discuss what to wear and what not to wear.

Congrats on your wedding emichele87!!
  • Honestly, she probably embarrassed herself by wearing white, not you. I'm sure people thought that was really tacky. My Mom passed away so no one in the MOB role but I told my MIL to wear any color she wanted. I really didn't care, I just wanted her to be comfortable. That being said, no way she would have picked a white or off-white dress.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Was wearing white a sign of protest, or was she just wearing something that she thought made her look great?

I had a very tiny wedding and a close family member of the groom wore white. It did not register with me at all until my family started referring to her as "that woman that wore white to your wedding".  The woman in question was 72, made a 12 hour trip on the train to attend and looked fantastic in her outfit. She wore white to my wedding and she rocked it.

If you think that your MIL was wearing white to upset you on your day, then I'd sit her down and have a little chat about appropriate behaviour. You've got a long life ahead with her and if she's already intentionally doing things to upset you, I would imagine that her behaviour will get a lot worse before it gets better, You need to nip that in the bud now.

If you think that your MIL was wearing white because she's just clueless...let it go.  It's just one day and you don't get to dictate what your guests wear to your party. Other guests either thought that she looked like a bit of an ass or it didn't register with them at all.

• JennyB0825 - I think she was clueless, but then again she also didn't say a word to me on the actually wedding day. I mean nothing before hand (and yes I saw her), nothing afterwards when she huged DH who was standing right beside me, nothing until the day after.

I have no idea if she was doing this on purpose or if she just honestly forgot to say anything to me. She was surprised when we got engaged because she thought DH was joking when he told her before hand. And like a week before the wedding she had a melt down about her son getting married. I may be crazy but I'm pretty sure she either has and issue with me or with DH being married, 
    ~Emily~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards