September 2013 Weddings

Last names

Just out of curiosity and for sake of conversation, who is taking their husband's last name once married, who's hyphenating, and who's keeping their last name? I will definitely be taking FI's last name, just easier for me. My mom hyphenated and had to work through a lot of issues over the years... What's everyone else doing?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Last names

• I am taking my FI's name. It is not a very normal thing around my area to heifinate or keep your last name. It wasn't even a question for me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am also taking FI last name. It is easier for kids to pronounce, and since I teach elementary school it is definately a plus.
    September 2013 Siggy ~Hair Inspiration~

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm taking FI's last name as well.  I never even questioned it.  My grandmother seemed put off that I wasn't hyphenating mine, which didn't make sense since she took my grandfather's last name. I have a long last name to start with, why would I add to it?! Hyphenating just seems like it would be more complicated...
  • Yup taking his name here too.

Although we're one of the first couples to get married and the bride change her name in our group of friends. Everyone seems to be keeping their maiden names around here.
    ~~Sept 2013 Brides - January Siggy - Floral Inspiration~~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am hyphenating. My son has decided not to change his last name he has my last name so I am hyphenating because of that
    Wedding Countdown Ticker ~~December Sept. 2013 Siggy Challenge~~ Now & Then Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I am taking my FI last name as well : wouldn't have it any other way we are both happy I'll be taking his last name.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • There wasn't even a question for me either. But it seems a lot of people out here (in California) don't even consider changing their names.  Lots of people were shocked that I was going to change my name. Almost everyone I know out here that has married around my age either kept their name or hyphenated and like I said they are all shocked that I will be changing my name. Oh well to each is own I suppose.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it's just the way everything is changing, now you even hear of the man taking the woman's last name (although I don't know anyone who has done this!) it's so much more common now to keep your own. I think it's one of the fun changes that comes with getting married, to take his name!
  • I agree. Ever since I was a little girl I would daydream of what my new last name would be when I got married. It's exciting. At least it is for me.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am keeping mine and taking his after my last name. I have already done lots of research and proffessionally everyone knows me by my last name so I don't want to get rid of that completely. However it is important to me that we share a last name, and I want our future kids only to have one last name so therefore I am taking his. We have some friends where the guy actually took the womans name, but that seems a bit strange to me, I like the tradition of taking his name.
    I have to admit it does feel a bit strange to have a new name though!
  • I'm hyphenating, I've spent years building my name professionally and don't want to lose that.

• I'm a little sad on this one. I love mine and it will be hard to drop it. :( 
      Both last names are way to long to hyphenate them and FI really wants me to have his last name.  

With that said, I love him soooooo flipping much and want our kids to have one last name (his.... ours) so I will be taking his.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Taking my FI last name mine is long and people always screw it up!
  •  Also taking FI's last night.  It is kind of weird to think about though, part of me is a little sad. 
  • I will be taking FI's last name. My intials will still stay the same so that was nice haha... I really didnt think of it- I just always knew I would take FH's name when the time comes. However, I am not looking forward to changing everything over!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    September 2013 Siggy Challenge: Bouquet Inspiration
  • edited January 2013
    I'm also a little sad. Its bittersweet. 

I'm super pumped to be taking my FI's name. I think its a big set in making us really a family. And he's honoured that I want to take his last name. On the flip side, its sad. I feel like the girl I am now, is dying a little bit. Like I'm leaving the Only Me & Name behind and moving on without her.
    ~~Sept 2013 Brides - January Siggy - Floral Inspiration~~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm taking his last name but it's not an easy decision.  He was actually really surprised when I told him that was my plan.  He expected me to keep my last name but is thrilled that we'll all have the same name afterall.
  • hmm I'm torn. I would love to hyphenate my last name but the two names just don't go well together.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My last name is a food, and a misspelled one at that. I can't wait to get rid of it!
     Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • When my brother began dating it was a cute that his girlfriend had the same first name as me.  When they got married, it's been kind of weird sharing my full name with my sister-in-law.  For nine years we've dealt with the confusion of telling us apart by our middle names.  So, I can't wait to bequith my name forever to my sister-in-law.  :-) 
    Sept '13 Siggy: Hair Inspiration: photo 019944c286331ab6fdf602efadf91e9e_zps2908bf88.jpg photo 80abfd960b2f390596c647e6ec4518d9_zpsdfb581e8.jpg Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'm taking FI's last name - I think he might pass out if I said I didn't want to lol.  My last name is very distinctive, so it will be nice to blend in a little (his is probably the 2nd most common last name ever, and the anonymity will be welcome!).

I'm also a little sad about it.  For 30+ years I've been one person, and now I'll be someone else.  A welcome change, but will definitely take some getting used to.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
    *** September 2013 Signature Challenge: Hair Inspiration! ***
  • I'm taking fiance's last name... but it's definitely going to be weird. I don't really like the sound of my name with his last name, but I'm sure I'll get used to it!  I know this is strange... but my dog's last name at the vet, the day camp, his city license, and the dog park is under my last name.  Fiance wants to have it changed for the sake of it being weird at our vet for it to be under a completely different last name when we call to make an appointment. We checked into it and it is quite an expensive process at each place. Sometimes I think it would mean more to him to have our dog listed take his last name than me! hahaha
    ***January Siggy Challenge... Bouquet Inspiration***

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I too am taking FI's last name. On all social media it already says that he changed it. I think he would be upset if I decided not to take his name. That being said. I have been trying to practice a new siggy. I suck at signing his last name with my first name.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My FBIL and I got into a joking argument about me taking FI's last name.  I like his last name, it's simple and easy, but at the end of the alphabet!  Losing my last name also makes me a bit nostalgic about my grandfather who passed away this past April.  It was his family name and part of my identity growing up.  So, I'm still deciding if I will hyphenate or not.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm taking my FIs last name.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Megan1029Megan1029 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited January 2013
    I will be taking his last name. A lot of my friends that have gotten married recently are keeping their name. It was never even a question for me. Although I will be going from a last name that has never been misspelled or mispronounced to a name that is almost always misspelled and mispronounced. Even my sister-in-law/matron of honor who has known FI since the beginning, still can't spell it correctly. I've been making her practice though Laughing
    February Signature: Brian Head, Utah Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I will be talking his last name as well. Our kids have his last name and I can't wait to share the same name as my kids ad hubby to be!
    **September 2013 January siggy challenge - bouquet inspiration** 86412886570268992_SthmzhVF_c_zps5fe628c0 Daisypath Wedding tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Definitely and happily taking FI's last name.  I love his last name and the awesome family of FILs that go along with it.  Plus I only want the same last name as any future children we have and I wouldn't want to give them a hyphenated name.  I feel honored that I will be announced as his wife with his name.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards