Tennessee
Options

Is anyone familiar with this photographer: Ian Weir from Murfreesboro?

I'm setting up a meeting with him in the next week or so to talk about wedding photos and an engagement shoot.... he's got some nice photos on his website, just wondering if anyone here has worked with him or knows of anyone who has??

Opinions of his work are also welcome, as you may see/sense something that I"m missing, good OR bad.  ;)

Re: Is anyone familiar with this photographer: Ian Weir from Murfreesboro?

• Options
    Some shots are clearer than others.
    He has a tendency to include a lot of background in the shots... is this the norm?
    I don't see many close-ups.
    Hmm... there's one close up of a little girl, but he's chopped off the right side of her cheek..... not a good sign.

And it looks like the lighting is off in several of these..... or maybe it's editing.... I"m not sure..... ?
  • Options
    It looks like he's a fairly inexperienced photographer, but I think he has a good eye. A couple things I noticed, in a lot of the shots the subject is slightly out of focus. Idk, the photos just didn't seem like... crisp? to me I guess. Also, he only has like one photo in weddings thats not a portrait. If you meet with him ask to see more wedding photos, maybe like 100 photos from the same wedding? I read that if a photographer only shows formal portraits they might not be that great at photojournalistic shots. Idk if thats what youre looking for.
    IMO id say definitely meet with him, just ask to see more work. He has a great price, just make sure in this instance you get more than what you pay for. :)
  • Options
    Based on the photographs and the pricing, I call definite inexperience. There are no photos of the actual wedding, which suggests to me that he hasn't actually shot a full wedding on his own. Weddings are a completely different ball game than portraits. Everything is always moving and changing; Only an experienced wedding photographer will know how to adapt quickly and not miss the important moments.

Also, based on the pricing he is definitely a newbie and most likely not running a legally legitimate business (red flag). He is most likely not paying business taxes- the government takes 30% automatically from small business, not to mention sales and use taxes for any tangible items they give you (red flag #2) and likely not insured (big red flag #3). 

1. If you meet with him ask to see a full wedding, start to finish, so that you know what they are capable of. Ask to see images shot in low light indoors as well as outside on an overly bright day. you should be able to see fine details in both the shadows and the highlights/whites if the images are properly exposed. 

2. Ask if he has liability insurance (this protects YOU in the event that he damages property or injures a guest or other vendor - if your photographer doesn't have this you will have to pay for damages caused by the photographer). 

3. Ask if he has a "Full Frame" or "Cropped Frame/APS" sensor. A cropped frame/aps sensor is a sign of an amateur. These are hobbyist level cameras and not professional at all. Also, ask if they use flash and ask if they shoot directly or if they bounce and/or use a diffusor. Direct flash is bad; It creates harsh unflattering shadows and makes even the most stunning people look bad. Ask if he has back up gear and back ups for his back ups... you never know when something will break.

4. Most importantly, when you decide to hire your photographer, make sure they have a solid contract and that you get a copy of the Signed contract. Make sure everything is included in the contract : hours hired for, payment schedule and amount, when you will be receiving all of the final images and products, what the cancelation policy is (both if you cancel and if the photographer cancels), what happens in the event of a personal emergency and your photographer can not show up on your wedding day? etc. 

In my opinion, i would not hire this photographer, but then again as a professional and an artist the photographs are very important to me and I would never trust my own to someone that displays so much inexperience. It is your wedding day, a single day in your life that you will not get to "do-over", why gamble with something so momentous? Talk to some legitimate professionals and see if you can get a customized package with reduced hours to cover your day. Would you rather have a few hours of amazing photographs or a day of mediocre ones? I suppose this depends on how important photography is to you and your fiance in the pursuit of always remembering your wedding day the way you actually saw it.... 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards