Oklahoma
Options

Wedding Venue Needed- also needing advice since I'm new to all of this!

I am on an extreme budget and trying to find something that is not more than a 30 minute drive from Oklahoma City if we have it here. Strangely enough, I am open to something in Tulsa as well since it is close to my family. My fiance and I are paying for everything and I really don't want to spend any more than $3000 on wedding and reception, but would still like for it to be nice. I am not opposed to an outdoor location for the wedding itself but would like for it to be adjacent to an indoor location for the reception-that way if it rains and we have a worst case scenario, we can move the wedding in to the reception area! I do not want to have it at a park and would like somewhere that is somewhat all inclusive as in tables, linens, chairs included as well as maybe the cake, reception food... (am I asking for too much?) I am so new to all of this and overwhelmed! I feel like I am going at this backwards and could really use some input from some pros! Also, what does everyone think is a reasonable time to receive a response back from a location about pricing/scheduling an appointment? I had emailed Sand Plum a month ago and NEVER got a response and I called Cobblestone Creek in Norman on Wednesday and never got a callback- I just feel like if I can't get a response back in a timely fashion, when I really need to get in touch with them I won't be able to! 

Re: Wedding Venue Needed- also needing advice since I'm new to all of this!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I emailed Sand Plum too and never got a response... too bad for them!  There is a place in El Reno called Festivities Event Center that is really reasonable.  Their website is www.festivitieseventcenter.com. The Overholser Mansion is also reasonably priced, but you would have to rent all your tables, chairs, etc. and do your own catering.  Their website is www.overholsermansion.org.
    Hope that helps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Depending on how many people you have attending you could go to the Gardens or Ashland Gardens.  They are reasonable and include most everything.  I agree with you about the no response thing.  If they don't get back to you now then they won't when you really need them
    Anniversary image
  • Options
    NorthCutie93NorthCutie93 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cobblestone is really expensive. I am having my reception at The Hall at old town  plaza in norman, you can have both the ceremony and reception there also. It is $850.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know how big  your wedding is but we went to a wedding in Guthrie about a month ago-The Redstone Country Inn. They had the wedding outside and the reception inside. It was really nice and I don't think expensive. My friend was on a tight budget. Good luck in your planning.
  • Options
    christareneedchristareneed member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the suggestions! We will have about 100 guests!! I loved Overholser Mansion but the rentals for everything else plus catering really made it too expensive! Maybe I was looking at the wrong rental/catering companies though...
  • Options
    Smurfette1231Smurfette1231 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having the same problem. I will be paying for my wedding and I don't really want to take out a loan just to get married.I also don't want to have a tacky looking wedding or have it at the same place that everyone else did. All of my friends are married and my FI is the last of 4 to tie the knot so that makes it more difficult. Why must weddings cost so much?!?!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Round Barn in Arcadia is lots of fun.  But it depends on your style.  They charge $350 for 12 hours (noon - midnight).  Tables and chairs are included.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a bad experience with Cobblestone, too! Would not return my calls, so I finally showed up at their door!  Anyway, I've decided that I will just get married at my parent's home in the country. You may check at the University of Oklahoma student union. I think they would work with you on your budget! Check out their website - they also do catering.
  • Options
    TiffaneeTimTiffaneeTim member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, UCO can rent out their Ballrooms, although i'm not sure the price they DO have tables and chairs.  You might want to look into that! 

If you you don't mind getting married on a sunday, a really cool place for your reception is also the UCO jazz lab.  My fiancé and I are using that for our reception (they don't do saturday night receptions because they have jazz concerts friday and saturday nights).  We're personally using our church for our venue.  You might consider finding a church you like and joining it, if even only for the use of the church for the wedding ceremony. (some pastors will require you to go through marriage counciling but that will also knock of 45$ on your marriage licence when the time comes.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you checked out Will Rogers Park in OKC?  They have a beautiful Rose Garden and it is very reasonable to rent.  They also have a seniors banquet room just a few feet away that you can use for a reception.  My sister had her wedding there a few years ago and it was beautiful!  Just google OKC parks and recreations and you can pull up the info for that park.  Also, the Myriad Gardens downtown has several areas on the park grounds that you may rent for the ceremony at a very reasonable cost.    As far as decor, I would say to skimp on fresh flowers for the overall decor and go for silk.  Check out garden ridge and micheals and hobby lobby (they all do have sales and you can do a lot with nice silk flowers).  Dollar tree is a great place for candles etc (they actually have a small wedding setup).  Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Krystal_22Krystal_22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hello, new bride to be

My name is Krystal and I would like to help you on your journey to becoming a new bride. I am currently taking event planning classes and I am also doing wedding and events on a very low budget depending on location and number of guests to build my portfolio. I have lots of great ideas, so if your interested and would like to give it a try. Email me at misskcc23@gmail.com or check my website out for more info at www.kcevents.yolasite.com..
  • Options
    bnfitz07bnfitz07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_oklahoma_wedding-venue-needed-also-needing-advice-im-new-of-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:127Discussion:502f80c8-a919-4650-80a1-2589b2f64326Post:75a379f6-1cda-4913-ae02-c8a7d69ac4d9">Re: Wedding Venue Needed- also needing advice since I'm new to all of this!</a>:
    [QUOTE] If you you don't mind getting married on a sunday, a really cool place for your reception is also the UCO jazz lab. 
    Posted by TiffaneeTim[/QUOTE]

That place looks great for my pre-reception (destination wedding...party for those who can't make it...) I tried the link, but didn't see anywhere about renting. How much is this costing you, if you don't mind my asking?

And what about other details: catering, music, etc...is it all included? I really only want alcohol and wedding cake since this is pretty relaxed...and I think my husband and I might wirte letters to each other to read out loud at this reception since people attending won't get to see the actual vows at the ceremony. But the jazz music would be great to have as well since my hubby LOVES jazz.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards