Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Rose Ceremony

I was looking for a unity ceremony for our wedding. Not wanting to do sand or candles, just not for us.

A rose ceremony was suggested (link http://weddings.usabride.com/wedding-planning-advice/the-rose-ceremony/) and it's super cute and I like it a lot! I figured -- Bam! I'm good.

But, when I went to go put it in my ceremony, I have this problem:
"Your first gift as husband and wife" is a main feature of that ceremony.

I had planned to put the rose ceremony after vows and rings, and before the pronouncment (we have a fairly short ceremony).

But I've just realized that when I attend weddings, I wait the whole whole time just to hear the words, "Husband and wife".
As in, "I now pronounce you husband and wife".
Best part of the whole wedding! My favorite.

So I don't want to put the words, "Husband and wife" in a unity ceremony that happens before "I now pronounce you husband and wife." I don't want to take away from waiting for that line!

And I don't want to put it after, because the only thing that's left after is "You may now kiss the bride"! and recessional.

So questions:
1. Am I just being dumb and need to suck it up and put it in as planned?
2. Have you seen a rose ceremony done? Is it as nice as I think it is?
3. Do you have a version or can you edit me a version that doesn't include "husband and wife" in it?
4. Am I better off just going with a different "unity" thing, such as...?
5. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for reading my ginormous post...

Re: Rose Ceremony

• I've never heard or seen a rose ceremony before, but when I saw this thread I immediately thought of The Bachelor. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. :(
  • You know, a wedding is a unity ceremony, so you don't have to do anything else if you don't want to.

That said, why can't you just change the words to 'bride and groom' or something?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_rose-ceremony-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:7e5858f4-05b7-46e8-b490-e174c93a8fb4Post:daee4aef-496a-4cd8-a2a9-4f22718085a6">Re: Rose Ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never heard or seen a rose ceremony before, but when I saw this thread I immediately thought of The Bachelor. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. :(
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, I agree. I think The Bachelor has pretty much tainted the concept of a rose ceremony.
  • Wow I have never heard of the rose ceremony, other than on The Bachelor. That is way better then the sand or candle ceremony idea!! I might just ask if we can add that in now : And as far as the "husband" and "wife" part, I understand your dilemma, however I think personally being called husband and wife is not the same as being introduced as husband and wife, maybe that is just me though. Otherwise you could maybe substitute it for "for your first gift as a married couple" or something along those lines. Hope you find something that you like!
  • Thanks everyone!

I do like it better than candles or sand. We're outdoors and I don't want to worry about getting a candle to light (kind of a downer on the symbolism if your candle flame goes out and all) and I just liked it better than the sand ceremony.
    If I keep it, I will change the wording to something like this:

"Your gift to each other for your wedding today has been your wedding rings – which will always be an outward demonstration of your vows of love and respect, and a public showing of your commitment to each other.
    Now having made that commitment, your first gift to each other will be a single rose.
    In the past, the rose was considered a symbol of love, and a single rose always meant only one thing: the words “I love you.” So it is appropriate that your first gift together would be a single rose. "

But...now that you mention it... it kind of makes me think of The Bachelor too! Drat.

Also, I guess having a unity ceremony *is* a little redundant, although I never really thought of it that way before. I was looking for something to make my wedding just a wee bit longer (I think I have about 10 minutes worth of content at the moment, and that feels a bit short to me), and unity ceremonies seem to be what people put in that spot.
    I guess I can put in a reading or something instead. Will have to consider this.

Anyhow, thanks everyone who answered!

• We also wanted to do something other than the unity candle or sand so we are doing a hands ceremony/blessing of the hands  (different than a hand fasting ceremony)   Before we exchange rings our pastor will read the Blessing of the Hands.  

If you do a google search for "hands ceremony" or "blessing of the hands", you should find several examples.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards