Interracial Weddings

New statistics on interracial marriages

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2012/02/16/the-rise-of-intermarriage/

Research now shows that 1 in 7 marriages in the US are interracial.

Let's hope for more tolerance and understanding, and hopefully this will be a non-issue someday.

Re: New statistics on interracial marriages

• I can't believe this is still an issue but there was that big blow up in Kentucky (not sure) when the girl wanted to marry her boyfriend from Africa in her church and the church said no.

How dare people think they can dictate who should or can get married! I hope like you said, that this can be a non-issue some day :)
    Vacation White Knot
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interracial-weddings_new-statistics-on-interracial-marriages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:c9069c39-6e1f-4397-9e66-aeb7ed51fccbDiscussion:92c07109-37b1-4328-a6a7-cb6860861501Post:e38a3160-9b11-45fd-acf1-a4e1bde371da">New statistics on interracial marriages</a>:
    [QUOTE]Let's hope for more tolerance and understanding, and hopefully this will be a non-issue someday.
    Posted by littleluckypenny[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Ab-so-lute-ly!!!</div>
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • For sure! ** Coops I loove your pic!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I totally agree with you ladies in hoping that this will be a nonissue someday. Have you all heard of the Loving story? Check it out http://lovingfilm.com/ . Its about an interacial couple in the south in the 60's. I think they are the couple that urged the interracial marriage law.
    " he's the perfect rhyme to a tight beat." Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Hopefully one day it won't be interracial marriage...it will just be marriage.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interracial-weddings_new-statistics-on-interracial-marriages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:c9069c39-6e1f-4397-9e66-aeb7ed51fccbDiscussion:92c07109-37b1-4328-a6a7-cb6860861501Post:50ac7392-47d2-4b53-8fef-cee369a5335d">Re: New statistics on interracial marriages</a>:
    [QUOTE]** Coops I loove your pic!!
    Posted by Elizabeth80[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Thank you! We just got our engagements done and this is one of my "sneak peeks". Can't wait to see the rest of them!</div>
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I totally agree!  

Does anyone else feel like as an interracial couple, you feel more responsibility to help legalize gay marriage?  I don't want to stir up trouble, but just something I've been feeling more lately.  I seriously am not looking to offend!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • mizutamababymizutamababy member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interracial-weddings_new-statistics-on-interracial-marriages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:c9069c39-6e1f-4397-9e66-aeb7ed51fccbDiscussion:92c07109-37b1-4328-a6a7-cb6860861501Post:8d3b34b8-7120-48b8-ad2a-242ad18b014e">Re: New statistics on interracial marriages</a>:
    [QUOTE]I totally agree!   Does anyone else feel like as an interracial couple, you feel more responsibility to help legalize gay marriage?  I don't want to stir up trouble, but just something I've been feeling more lately.  I seriously am not looking to offend!
    Posted by jsleik[/QUOTE]

I feel that way but I'm not really sure what DH's views on gay marriage is...  I mean it's pretty much the same thing in principle, is it not?

People having their own biases against two consenting adults doing something that has no effect on them whatsoever and using religion or immorality excuses to justify their opinions.  The translations we know of the Bible today are notorious for having errors or being educated guess translations, and 99% of the people I've met who use the Bible as the excuse cannot read the original version of it to make their own informed decision on the matter.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interracial-weddings_new-statistics-on-interracial-marriages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:c9069c39-6e1f-4397-9e66-aeb7ed51fccbDiscussion:92c07109-37b1-4328-a6a7-cb6860861501Post:f546ad52-6ca2-4738-af3f-7db6cf80c417">Re: New statistics on interracial marriages</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: New statistics on interracial marriages : I feel that way but I'm not really sure what DH's views on gay marriage is...  I mean it's pretty much the same thing in principle, is it not? People having their own biases against two consenting adults doing something that has no effect on them whatsoever and using religion or immorality excuses to justify their opinions.  <strong>The translations we know of the Bible today are notorious for having errors or being educated guess translations,</strong> and 99% of the people I've met who use the Bible as the excuse cannot read the original version of it to make their own informed decision on the matter.
    Posted by mizutamababy[/QUOTE]
    Not all translations are so inadequate. Many do paraphrase, replace and even omit entire phrases, sentences or passages. That's why it's so important to find a Bible that you can trust was translated with the utmost accuracy. <div>
    </div><div>Since the majority of the living population cannot read Hebrew, Greek (although some can), and Aramaic, it is true that most Bible readers cannot read and understand the original scrolls. </div><div>
    </div><div>My parents are an interracial couple, as are my FI and I. Yet, I personally don't feel that being in an interracial couple makes me feel more compelled to support homosexual marriage. I don't feel the core principle is the same. Thats just my view.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interracial-weddings_new-statistics-on-interracial-marriages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:c9069c39-6e1f-4397-9e66-aeb7ed51fccbDiscussion:92c07109-37b1-4328-a6a7-cb6860861501Post:29ae158c-bf90-4781-9db0-c82e4a0b9dda">Re: New statistics on interracial marriages</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: New statistics on interracial marriages : Not all translations are so inadequate. Many do paraphrase, replace and even omit entire phrases, sentences or passages. That's why it's so important to find a Bible that you can trust was translated with the utmost accuracy.  Since the majority of the living population cannot read Hebrew, Greek (although some can), and Aramaic, it is true that most Bible readers cannot read and understand the original scrolls.  My parents are an interracial couple, as are my FI and I. Yet, I personally don't feel that being in an interracial couple makes me feel more compelled to support homosexual marriage. I don't feel the core principle is the same. Thats just my view.
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

I feel like it would be difficult for someone to fully understand the Bible without having historical knowledge of the culture and time in which it was written.  Some translations are accurate for the context with which we view the same words used now, but not what they meant back then.  I also think it would be hard for a person to know whether the translation they were reading was accurate or not unless they were familiar with the original language and it's nuances during the time the Bible was first written.

I also don't see how the issues differ all that much... People can't control their race or if they're born LGBTQ.  It feels like if you're going to damn one, you might as well damn the other just for consistency's sake.  Unless someone's of the mindset that LGBQT issues are a form of mental illness, which is pretty farfetched and unlikely when you consider that there are more than a few species of animals that engage in same gender behavior naturally and it isn't only a human behavior.

There are also many similarities in how people denounce gay marriage and the reasons used to denounce interracial marriage.  If we were born only a few decades earlier we would be facing the same struggles gay couples who wish to marry face today.  I can't imagine how hard that would be not to be able to marry the person you love... or at least without the condemnation from so many.  So I feel like being aware of even part of the reality gay couples must face, it would be a little coldhearted to separate ourselves from it and treat it as two entirely different things...

Even if someone for whatever reason (illogically or religiously) is against gay marriage, it isn't their place to judge and prohibit them from doing as they please as long as it's not hurting anyone.  I hope I live to see the day when we have a real separation from church and state like we claim to.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interracial-weddings_new-statistics-on-interracial-marriages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:c9069c39-6e1f-4397-9e66-aeb7ed51fccbDiscussion:92c07109-37b1-4328-a6a7-cb6860861501Post:8d3b34b8-7120-48b8-ad2a-242ad18b014e">Re: New statistics on interracial marriages</a>:
    [QUOTE]I totally agree!   Does anyone else feel like as an interracial couple, you feel more responsibility to help legalize gay marriage?  I don't want to stir up trouble, but just something I've been feeling more lately.  I seriously am not looking to offend!
    Posted by jsleik[/QUOTE]

Not at all. I also don't think the core issues are the same at all.
    My blog
    "I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, My soul shall be joyful in my God; For He has clothed me with the garments of salvation, He has covered me with the robe of righteousness, As a bridegroom decks himself with ornaments, And as a bride adorns herself with her jewels." -Isaiah 61:10 NKJV
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interracial-weddings_new-statistics-on-interracial-marriages?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:c9069c39-6e1f-4397-9e66-aeb7ed51fccbDiscussion:92c07109-37b1-4328-a6a7-cb6860861501Post:c8020bc6-0cbe-438f-94ca-fd4b0a7a1d52">Re: New statistics on interracial marriages</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: New statistics on interracial marriages :<strong> I feel like it would be difficult for someone to fully understand the Bible without having historical knowledge of the culture and time in which it was written. </strong> Some translations are accurate for the context with which we view the same words used now, but not what they meant back then.  I also think it would be hard for a person to know whether the translation they were reading was accurate or not unless they were familiar with the original language and it's nuances during the time the Bible was first written...<div><strong>Even if someone for whatever reason (illogically or religiously) is against gay marriage, it isn't their place to judge and prohibit them from doing as they please as long as it's not hurting anyone.</strong>  I hope I live to see the day when we have a real separation from church and state like we claim to.
    Posted by mizutamababy[/QUOTE]
    I totally agree that it is not right to interpret the words of the Bible without knowledge of the context. That is, unfortunately, how so many scriptures are taken out of context. You can't read one verse and make an assumption without reading the surrounding context and researching the history to understand what those words, phrases and situations meant at the time.</div><div>
    </div><div>Fortunately, there are religious organizations that have done that extensive research and provide historical information that helps to explain the significance of certain references. There is a plethora of information available from reputable sources that can help a reader to understand the political and religious dynamics of Bible times. Since reading and understanding the Bible is important to me, I find my time worth spent on reading it and other Bible aides so that I can understand what I'm reading.</div><div>
    </div><div>I also agree that while we all have the same right to our opinions, based upon whatever, no one should discriminate or judge others for their choices. As the Bible says, (I'm paraphrasing) 'why point out the straw in another's eye when there is a rafter in your own eye.' We have no right to judge others in any way. </div>
  • AW&AWAW&AW member
    First Comment

Interracial marriage should not be that big of a deal. A man and a woman that love each other- decide to get married & have a life together, should not matter what skin color or what ethic they come from. I wish interracial wedding photos & cake toppers, and all things interracial were not so hard to find. It's not something out of the norm. I dont like it when its looked at a "new" thing of "different" it is a man and a women that love each other, just like if it was a white man & women or a black man & women....I dont want the difference in skin color to be the main focus at my wedding. Laughing

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards