Pre-wedding Parties
Options

FMIL and shower location

My FMIL is generously throwing me a bridal shower. I offered to let her have the shower at me and FI's house; we could easily accommodate 20 guests, which is how many she wants to invite. 

For some reason though, FMIL is hung up on having the shower at a local park pavilion. The fee to rent an outdoor pavilion there is about $100. It seems silly to me that she'd pay a fee to have it in a park rather than use our house for free--especially because money is tight for her. Also, the shower is in July. I live in Wash D.C.--it will very likely be hot and humid. I don't want the guests who come to be uncomfortable.

I said to her the other day, "Oh, please don't pay to rent a space! How about we just have the shower at my house?" I really meant it too--I love having guests over to my house! But she responded with, "It would be too stressful for you to have it there. I don't want you to worry about helping with set-up and clean-up." I told her even though I wouldn't mind helping with those things, I'd stay out of them if she wants me to. But she still insisted on the park location!

Is there anything else I can say to her to convince her to have it at my house without offending her? Or should I just let this go?

Re: FMIL and shower location

• Options
    No.It was nice of you to offer, but since she is the host of the shower, she gets to decide on the location. She may be worried that the guests will think you were involved with planning your own shower, so you should let it be.

• Options
    As the shower host, she does get say in the location.  The only reason I'd bring it up again would be to confirm that she has a plan in case of inclement weather.  If your FMIL continues to insist she's got it covered, then I think you really do need to let it go.
    Anniversary

• Options
    I live in DC as well--no way I'd want to sit outside in July.  That does NOT sound like fun to me, at all.  The weather itself should be enough reason for her to agree to have it elsewhere.  Personally, I'd rather not have a shower at all than have to sit outside in July (maybe I sound dramatic, but I'm being serious).
  • Options
    I think I'm still going to drop a few hints that she should at least have it indoors. If she doesn't take the bait, then so be it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards