Outdoor Weddings

Help! Anyone familiar with New England weather??

So I was set to be married in late April 2013 at Lighthouse Point Park in New Haven. Unfortunately, my little sister gave us the wrong dates for spring break, and now we're moving the wedding up to March 2013. Normally, I wouldn't do this, but half of my family either attends or teaches at the same college and wouldn't be able to make it. Then we cant move it back to summer break because my parents are teaching summer classes and wouldn't be able to come.

I REALLY want an outdoor wedding, but I have no idea what the weather is like in march. In Mississippi, where we're from, March is always hot as hell and terribly humid. I'm sure it will be really different up north, but I need to know for sure.

Any advice??

Re: Help! Anyone familiar with New England weather??

• I don't think I would plan for an outdoor wedding in March.  You're probably looking at mid 40s for average temperature.  Snow is still a possibility.
  • In Boston, an outdoor wedding is march is pretty much a no go.  I grew up in Boston.  My son's birthday is March 28 and when we lived in Boston,  I was never able to do it outside.  One year we did though, as we got unseasonably warm weather but we stayed mainly indoors (we did the pinata outdoors and some people ate on the proch and kids played outside, but we did gifts and cake indoors).  

You might be able to get away with people mingling outdoors for a bit but to have your entire wedding in March is probably not a good idea.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  •  I grew up in New Orleans and worked in New England, always stupidly assuming that in JUNE it would be warm and sunny. Not so.

Before you plan for a March wedding up there, contact some venues and see if they have ways to make your "outdoor wedding work" or give you an alternative. One would be to check out a botanical garden. That way you have the feel of the outdoors without freezing your tookus off!  Go online to Marsh Botanical Garden and see if you like it and if they rent out for weddings.

Hope this helps.
  • An outdoor wedding in March in New England is not a good idea.  While it has been getting warmer earlier here each year, you can't depend on it.  It would certainly still be jacket weather. There's a saying up here, "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute".
    Anniversary
  • I agree with PPs. The weather in March is too unpredictable for an outside wedding. It can either be snowing, raining, or 80 degrees. I wouldn't risk it.
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • I grew up right near New Haven... March can be pretty chilly.  However, this past March there was one absolutely gorgeous day toward the end of the month. I would say it is going to be too chilly.
  • pHale04pHale04 member
    First Comment
    I live in CT. March is not a good month for an outside wedding, esp on the water as its always colder there. In March there is usually still snow on the ground and very cold, i would look at either a different time of year or an indoor wedding.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks so much everyone, ya'll have been a great help! Being from the south, I have actually never in my life driven in snow or ice, and the last time I saw snow in my part of Mississippi was in 1993 when I was 5. So I wouldn't want to get stuck up there with the weather.

Tina3104, I'll try that idea too! If I can't move the wedding to warmer weather, a botanical garden would actually be great!
  • @Tina1304 - just booked Marsh Botanical Garden for my wedding! I LOVE the place- Thanks so much!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_help-anyone-familiar-with-new-england-weather?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:f44a73ce-3e2a-42cc-a211-b3eb541e02a8Post:c440b9db-b89e-4db2-a682-1dec135630d2">Re: Help! Anyone familiar with New England weather??</a>:
    [QUOTE]@Tina1304 - just booked Marsh Botanical Garden for my wedding! I LOVE the place- Thanks so much!
    Posted by lebrooke1013[/QUOTE]

Hi - I know this is from 5 months ago, but I was just interested in the venue that you chose. I didn't realize that Marsh Botanical Garden can be rented for weddings. How many people are coming to your reception? Is the site fee expensive? does it include anything? Any info you could provide would be great. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards