Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

No clue about make-up

Ok ladies I really need your  help here.  I've heard that your suppose to apply you make-up heavier on your wedding day, but I don't wear  ANY make-up.  Well, if anything its lip-gloss & mascara.  So how am I suppose to wear my make-up?  I would love a natural look, no smokey eye or anything. Also what brands are good that aren't too expensive?  Obviously since I don't wear make-up on a  regular basis I don't want to spend too much money.  Thanks for your help / suggestions!

Re: No clue about make-up

• Options
    Check out the DIY makeup sticky at the top of the forum.  It has some good suggestions.
  • Options
    The reason for 'heavier' make-up is that it photographs better.  However, if you don't normally wear make-up, you don't want to go too heavy and not look like yourself.  I'd suggest making an appointment with a MAC or Sephora MUA to discuss a few options (it's free if you spend $50 on product).
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks  ladies!

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I like L'oreal products for eyeshadow, mascara, and lip products.  It's pretty affordable and it usually goes on sale a couple of times a month at major drugstores.  I also like Revlon lipstick  and actually used Revlon for my wedding.  Physician's Formula makes good highlighters and bronzers.

Personally, I've never had any success at finding a drugstore foundation that worked for me.  Some people do seem to really like Revlon.  I also don't really use drugstore blush, most of them aren't pignmented enough for me.  If you are fair, you might have better luck.

Lastly, make sure you don't overdo it on the shimmer.  It doesn't photograph well.  I also highly recommend this book (click me).  It has tons of info and many natural looks.  Maybe you can check it out of the library.  
  • Options
    You want to make sure that you are wearing foundation because you are going to be photographed SO much on your big day and the flash tends to drain the natural color from your face.

Since you don't normally wear a lot of makeup - I would use a primer (will create a smoother surface for the foundation to adhere to), foundation, settting powder (it will keep the foundation from creasing/sliding), light blush - depending on your skin tone I would stick with a light pink or a light apricot, and a touch of nuetral eyeshadow. Use a light, shimmery brown for the inner 2/3rds of your eyelid and use a medium or basic brown for the crease. A brown liner will add a touch of drama, but will be softer than black. Black mascara on top lashes, brown mascara on bottom (or brown on top and bottom) and nude lip. Set it with setting spray (UD's All nighter)

Maybelline, Elf, and Sephora have some good inexpensive products.
    Stilla, Urban Decay, MAC, Too Faced would be in the mid range
    Chanel, Face Atelier would be in the upper range.

Hope that helps!

Sara

Facebook.com/makeupbysarac
  • Options
    Have you thought about hiring a makeip artist for your special day to take care of you and the bridal party?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards