Catholic Weddings
Options

wedding dresses

can you wear a strapless dress in a catholic church? or do i have  to wear sleeves or cover up

Re: wedding dresses

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It depends on the priest so your best bet is to ask him.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    lalaith50lalaith50 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    but, regardless of what he says, it IS a nice and respectful gesture to attempt to be slightly more modest in a church than you would be at something like a wedding reception (I think most people would agree that you shouldn't come to church in a tube top--what makes a wedding dress different?)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It definitely depends on the priest. I have heard it go both ways. I was allowed to wear a strapless dress despite our priest being really strict on other things. You could still wear one, just buy something to cover your shoulders for the ceremony.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_wedding-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:4fac267d-46cb-499c-8620-8f22a0b06a4cPost:159cf30d-f355-44a8-b9b1-6a9c7aedfd95">Re: wedding dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]It definitely depends on the priest. I have heard it go both ways. I was allowed to wear a strapless dress despite our priest being really strict on other things.<strong> You could still wear one, just buy something to cover your shoulders for the ceremony</strong>.
    Posted by MissySue20[/QUOTE]

A lot of girls do this for their ceremony, regardless of the location.  I love bolero tops -- I think they're gorgeous.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Kate504Kate504 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm wearing strapless. It depends on the church. I asked our priest and he said that our church had no rules about this, but a few other churches in the area were REALLY strict.

One church you can't take photos in it after the ceremony and there are no restrooms for the guests.
    BFP #1 6/18/2012 // EDD 2/28/2013 // Birthdate 2/7/2013

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I wore strapless and our priest said it was beautiful. 
  • Options
    Hope61Hope61 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_wedding-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:4fac267d-46cb-499c-8620-8f22a0b06a4cPost:29f635f1-73d6-4df8-b4ec-195c41d8535d">Re: wedding dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]but, regardless of what he says, it IS a nice and respectful gesture to attempt to be slightly more modest in a church than you would be at something like a wedding reception (I think most people would agree that you shouldn't come to church in a tube top--what makes a wedding dress different?)
    Posted by lalaith50[/QUOTE]

This.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Little Gabriel: BFP 7/12/11~EDD 3/21/12, miscarried 8/24/11 at 10w
  • Options
    lisa89760lisa89760 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wore strapless and so did my bridesmaids and there were no problems.  but yes you should ask because there could be an issue.  I did have a floor length veil on for the ceremony as well.
    August 2011 sig challenge: Honeymoon!! (We bought a boat!!)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    The bride and all of the bridesmaids wore strapless..  none of them had plunging neckline or revealing skirts.  There was no problem with the Church at all.
  • Options
    HandBananaHandBanana member
    edited December 2011
    I didn't have strapless but my shoulders were bare.  My BM dresses were pretty low cut, bare shoulders, and knee length.  My priest and church was fine with everything.

Talk to your priest before you make any decisions and if anything, you can always have a bolero or wrap for the ceremony.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm wearing strapless- my dress is modest with a simple veil. I do not forsee any problems. Our priest is also pretty chill.
  • Options
    aghouston86aghouston86 member
    edited December 2011
    Talk to the priest. I actually showed mine a picture of the dress and he was fine with it since I'm wearing a veil.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards