Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Creative & cheap dinner menu

I'm getting married next year, December 12, 2012 <3 and we're a quirky non-traditional couple, but our families are. I don't want a formal sit-down four course expensive dinner.. I have roughly 150-175 mouths to feed and I need ideas for warm, hardy, cheap & plentiful dishes or finger foods. I know people who can do the cooking for me, I just need an idea for a menu. Help.

Re: Creative &amp;amp; cheap dinner menu

• edited December 2011
    Quirky but traditional foods are right on trend lol you should have lots of choices...like baked mac n cheese, a rustic beef and vegetable stew, even tiny grilled cheeses and mini sliders...all things you can dress up with fresh herbs, gourmet toppings, etc.
    ie Baked Mac n' Cheese with Sharp Cheddar and Applewood Smoked Bacon
    "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return." ~Moulin Rouge
  • edited December 2011

We did a mashed potato bar at our wedding and everyone loved it.

What are some of your favorite foods or favorite types of restaurants?

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the idea of fun foods! Just a few thoughts: mac and cheese, BBQ beef cups, pizza bar, baked potato bar, sliders.

Like a pp asked, what kind of foods do you like? Then, hopefully, we can give you more suggestions!

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    A baked potato bar would be amazing.  I would take that over a "real" bar any day! lol

In December, I agree with PPs - hearty comfort food would be very well received.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 62 Made the cut!
    image 58 Are ready to fly with us image 4 Are missing out! image As of August 14th, everyone has finally made up their minds!
  • FaithCaitlinFaithCaitlin member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ooh, what about a good hearty soup or chili?

imageUntitledmy read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • cmp1986cmp1986 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do a "We love" dinner. Have all your favorite foods you like to eat. Make it a family style dinner. Plates of food are set on the table and people serve themselves.
  • edited December 2011
    I LOVE everyone's ideas, thank you so much! Our favorite foods are asian, italian and traditional american comfort foodsso we have an interesting mix lol.. maybe we could do different stations of finger foods from each culture.. any other ideas?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards