Utah

Log-Haven/Mill Creek, or similar~

Hello All~
My fiance and I have been visiting and researching venues, and we love the feel and personality of a venue like Mill Creek and Log Haven, but reviews of both lately (anything since 2009) seemed to have taken a southern turn (poor service, communication, etc).
I was hoping the collective Utah Knot Community might have some recent experiences to share, alternative recommendations or general insight??

Thanks for any and all help!

Re: Log-Haven/Mill Creek, or similar~

• KatyRoseMKatyRoseM member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to weddings at both and they were lovely.  Mill Creek is a bit small if it rains but thats it.  Also across the street can get a bit loud.  Log Heaven is nice, though the seating is a bit segmented, which I didn't like.  Rose Sachs is nice as well, if your wanting outside.  Red Bute is beautiful as well, and has an inside, which helps.  Both of those are not as far up the mountain which is both good and bad. 

What exactly are you looking for?  What did you like about each of the places you looked? 
  • edited December 2011
    We have been concerned with the size of Millcreek. We are expecting around 150 guests, and that would mean we would need some guests inside and outside...and with any outdoor location, god forbid it rain.
    Woods on 9th is a very close 2nd to Millcreek, since they "try" to provide an outdoor setting, however we feel the lushness of the greenery leaves something to be desired, but it does provide a wonderful alternative in case of rain.
    Ultimately I think it will come down to us weighing the pros/cons of each, as I'm sure no couple has ever found a silver bullet venue...there will always need to be some give, as each location has its perks and pitfalls.
  • edited December 2011
    My vote would be for Log Haven.  It is much more private than Millcreek and a lot more areas to choose from.  Personally, I love the meadow for a ceremony and the patio for a reception.  Take a look at their awards on-line, four diamond, best of state and their food is amazing.  The chef/staff have been there a long time. 
  • edited December 2011
    Log Haven is a fabulous venue!  Their staff is experienced and has been with them a long time.  We have attended 6 weddings there in the past year and every time the food was delicious and the wedding went flawlessly.  Nothing beats their wilderness setting yet it is still close to the city.  We attended 3 weddings at MillCreek Inn last year and were not impressed.  The food was poor and the noise from the hikers and picnicers was really intrusive.  Loud boom boxes and loads of children running around.  Log Haven would definitely get my vote!
  • nikkic11nikkic11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am an event planner and have chosen Mill Creek for my venue.  In my opinion, Mill Creek has always been easier to work with, their food is better and less expensive.  I have planned several events at Mill Creek and have never noticed noise/hikers to be a problem.  I also find the atmosphere at Mill Creek better than Log Haven. Log Haven has a creepy vibe to me but I may be making that up.  Also, if you do go with log haven, keep in mind that their bridal suite is like an airplane closet so you'll need to get ready somewhere else and then go to the venue.  Hope this helps.  
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know if you've looked at their web-site, but hands down, Log Haven is the better choice.  They have been repeatedly been voted the Most romantic restaurant and their areas are much more picturesque than anything in Utah.  Their chef has also received notoriety and is considered the city's top chef by Bon Appetit magazine.  

The building is historic, the grounds beautiful and the ambiance simple and elegant.  As for their event coordinators, you know you are in the right hands from the minute you talk to them.  Very thorough, organized and caring.  

Is there really a choice?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards