Latino Weddings
Options

Laso Y arras question or better yet, advice...

So, I met with my WP today and she asked me if we had thought about incorporating the laso and/or the arras in the ceremony. We really hadn't thought about it, I thought that was just for the church ceremony but, she is Catholic and said that it is very common and alot of couples do it and it just depends on the couple. My fiance hasn't really gave an answer straight out, he missed the meeting and is still at work so, we had a 5 minute conversation that involved a thousand things. So, it's still on my mind and I wanted to get an idea of what other people think, I can't ask his family, they are very closed minded on everything so, everything we do in the wedding will be wrong to them. What do you all think?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Laso Y arras question or better yet, advice...

• Options
    edited December 2011

If it means a lot to the in-laws and it's not disrecpectful to your own faith, I don't see the big deal in doing this little things for them. Both the laso and arras ceremony shouldn't take more than 8 minutes (if that!). My sister is not Catholic and she still incorporated this into her wedding ceremony. It was funny because my Abuelita swore my sis had a Catholic ceremony, but that was not the case.

Also, the meaning of the laso and the arras is so beautiful that if you concentrate on it, it may make it easier to just do it as part of the event.

There should be 13 arrhae (sp?) and one laso. The arraeh symbolizes the shared wealth and wish for porperity of the couple (one for each month) and your willingness to also share that prosperity with others (hence the 13th arra).

The laso is just one more way to showing you're really tying the knot! In my country (Honduras) usually an elder person places the lasso on the couple and gives them a blessing. It's a very honorable occassion, so pick someone who is close to you guys.

Good luck! Let me know if you have more questions.  :)

-Tania

"My husband says I feed him like he's a god: every meal is a burnt offering." ~Rhonda Hansome
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In my defense for all the typos above, I'm writing from this very old and jacked-up keyboard! Sorry!
    "My husband says I feed him like he's a god: every meal is a burnt offering." ~Rhonda Hansome
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How would we go about having that? I know that in Church weddings, they do blessings but, how would we go about it?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having both and we are both Catholic, but not having the wedding in a Catholic church.  We are having an elder in our family say the blessings over the lazo and the arras.  I am excited to incorporate both of them into our ceremony.  My fiance is excited because the same traditions were done at his parents' wedding, so that is meaningful to him.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all, I spoke with my FMIL and she is fine with whatever we want. We met with the officiant 2 days ago and he also said that it is very common in the with the bilingual weddings he has done. So, we are doing it also, and are having his Mom & my Mom to place the laso on us and maybe his Dad to give the arras, not sure on that one, yet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hello :) First of all CONGRATS on your engagement! :) I used both the Laso and Arras in my ceremony...DH is not catholic.  The meaning behind it was the selling point for him.  The 13 arras actually represent Jesus and the 12 diciples.  If you google it I'm sure you'll get a bunch of info on the tradition and meaning of both the arras and laso.  We had my padrinos present the items to us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards