Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Etiquette ladies: open/cash bar query

Hi folks,

After reading the cash bar thread a little down the page, I'm curious and would like to ask you an etiquette question.

What is the consensus on open bar where either theres 2/3 drinks vouchers per person, or maybe 1k put down at the bar, and when thats gone, guests pay for their own alcholic drinks?

Thanks for your input :)

Re: Etiquette ladies: open/cash bar query

• Options
    After reading the thread below you don't know the answer to this question?  Guests should not have to pull out their wallet at ANY point during your wedding and reception.
  • Options
    Drink vouchers = not okay.

If you can't afford full open bar, that is totally acceptable.  Host what you CAN afford.  Just beer/wine, maybe a signature drink... or just put two bottles of wine on each table.

There's a whole host of options between full open bar and cash bar.

• Options
    The consensus is that it's best to host something cheaper (like beer and wine only) than to do either of those things. Having tickets isn't necessarily rude (I think) it's just tacky. You know, like your wedding reception is some kind of carnival ride. Putting down a certain amount of money usually ends up being unfair. For example, one person can go up and get 5 drinks while the bar is still open, but another person could try to go get one single drink at the end of the night and have to pay for it.

If the budget you have/$1000 isn't enough to host beer and wine for everyone all night, maybe you could do just beer, or just wine, and make cheaper beer/wine selections. 
  • Options
    Do not do drink vouchers, that will get too complicated really fast. Host what you can afford. Beer and wine is completely acceptable. If you think the bar is something that needs to be cut because you can't afford it, that is fine as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks folks. :)

Most of the places I've looked at with drinks packages usually limit drinks to 2/3 per person, thats why I was wondering - and the couple places I've seen that say 'unlimited', those packages are like 5k... more than what we're spending on the rest of it ;)
  • Options
    It's probably worth asking them if there is a higher limit for beer/wine only, or what the price is if you host by consumption after that limit. 
  • Options
    I would rather have no alcohol at all than to have to pay for it at a wedding. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    I wouldn't feel comfortable hosting anything other than an open bar, but I have a lot of drinkers in my family. I think that if you can't afford to do an open bar, you should just host beer and wine. The other alternative is to go dry.
  • Options
    If your guests have to open their wallet at all during the reception, it's rude. I'd find a way to host cheaper booze (Just beer and wine or whatever) for the entire night.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_etiquette-ladies-opencash-bar-query?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:f89f8725-10b5-446d-b531-d5816d25bea8Post:9b9119e5-17e5-463f-9b04-569714eaaae0">Re: Etiquette ladies: open/cash bar query</a>:
    [QUOTE]Drink vouchers = not okay. If you can't afford full open bar, that is totally acceptable.  Host what you CAN afford.  Just beer/wine, maybe a signature drink... or just put two bottles of wine on each table. There's a whole host of options between full open bar and cash bar.
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

this.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It would be confusing if for an hour and a half, I got free drinks and all of a sudden was asked to pay (bc the prepaid 1K the b&g paid had been used up). PP's are right, there are lots of ways to host drinks that don't include a full bar. Personally, we are planning beer, wine and 2 signature drinks.
  • Options
    Being given drink vouchers would be exactly like being at a carnival! 2-3 drinks would get guests through cocktail hours, I would say 10 drinks would be more like it. Yes, open bars are expensive. Ours was about $8,000 for 150 people, but that was going all out. I highly suggest hosting open bar with beer and wine, or with a signature drink. Something the guests could consume all night for free.
  • Options
    I agree with most...TACKY with vouchers or cash bar.  I have looked into beer/wine bar and it seems to be a lot cheaper.  Plus you can work with that also - try just draft beer and one red and one white wine.  Also close the bar during dinner hour (soda, etc only).  If you have not set your venue yet I would keep calling around to find out prices.  In my experience so far places have given me $ amounts for both full open and beer/wine bar per person per hour!  I dont drink and I have about 1/4 my reception guests not drinking but I still have to pay..i just think most people think big drinking night when they think about going to a wedding..you need to give them something for FREE...work with your venue.
  • Options
    To tack on to PPs suggestion above. You can also choose to only offer domestic beers instead of domestic and imported. It's usually almost $1.00 more per beer for imported.
  • Options
    Really GJM, 10 drinks? I'd be on the floor.
  • Options
    I do think you should host what you can.  If the beer/wine only option would work for you, that would be ideal.  However, I also think if $1000 is all you can afford towards a bar, then hosting that much is better than nothing.  I would rather have the option to buy another drink then to be cut off at a random #. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    10 drinks across 6 hours is not that many. Plus, people set their drinks down while dancing, going to the bathroom, etc,  and then they get cleared away by the staff. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards