California-Bay Area
Options

NWR: looking for a restaurant rec

Hi ladies --- I'm popping over from the Boston board in hopes that you may be able to help me. We are headed to Napa and San Fran for our 1st anniversary next month and I'm having the hardest time finding the perfect San Fran restaurant...there are so many!

We are looking for something not too trendy and stuffy but great food and atmosphere --- the kicker is our anniversary is 2/14 so I may be limited b/c it is Valentine's Day and I have a feeling that I need to book sooner rather than later. We are staying in Union Square but are not limited to that area.

TIA for your help :)

Re: NWR: looking for a restaurant rec

• Options
    CaitlinmmkCaitlinmmk member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Well, there's the Crab House on Pier 39, which is an awesome tourist spot right on the water. The Crab House is right over the water and it's both kitchy and classic at the same time. They also have this amazing thing called the "killer crab legs" which are sooooo yummy, it's dungenous crab legs that are baked in butter and garlic and other tastey things. And a plus of the restaurant is there are a ton of shops to wander in at Pier 39. There is also the House of Prime Rib, which has, you guessed it, tons of prime rib. They're seriously old school and proud of it. They still make a show out of the food, which you don't see very often. It was also on the TV show "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" on the Food Network, Brian Boitano suggested it. My FI and I always make sure to go to one of these when we're in the city. In Napa I've heard the Mustard Grill is pretty amazing. Good luck with reservations and all that, and when you're in SF make sure to go on a trolly ride, they are so fun especially when you're standing on the side :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What kind of food do you like?  Range and Foreign Cinema are two places we've really enjoyed.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my absolute fave rest. in the city is NOPA. a-mazing. get the pork chop!
    a few other great ones:
    zero zero (for amazing italian)
    foreign cinema
    flour + water
    spork
    beretta

my vote is for NOPA for your anniversary, tho. congrats!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was just reading this morning about Benu, started by the former chef de cuisine at French Laundry...

http://travel.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/travel/09restaurants.html

YUM.
  • Options
    ElleestJennElleestJenn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like Palio D'Asti and Farmer Brown.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ooh, Range is great!

Garibaldi's is nice.  Not pretentious.

• Options
    edited December 2011

i think Benu is like $250/pp.  my co-worker went and said its A-mazing.  but thats hella pricey!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for your help ladies --- looks like we'll be trying out 2 or 3 of these while we are in town :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    make sure you come back and let us know how it goes!  =)
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    If you like Italian, there are great places in North Beach. That's a quick bus trip from Union Square if you're okay taking Muni. Steps of Rome Cafe is my favorite dessert place.

I also love Roy's (Hawaiian Fusion), which is on Mission, I think.
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Union Square is really close to Chinatown.  R&G is awesome, if you like salt & pepper crab.  Oh, and in North Beach, go to Caffe Trieste, that's where the first cappuccinos were sold in the US.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards