Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Are you wearing hair up or down??

I am having a really hard time deciding if I want to wear my hair up or down.

What are you guys doing?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Are you wearing hair up or down??

• I'm going to be wearing mine up in a chignon.

Have you narrowed it down to at least some that you like?
  • I'm thinking down with banana curls with one side half up. I have 2 beautiful flowers to clip in on the half up side.  I always wear my hair up so that's why I'm thinking of wearing it down.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wore mine mostly down but had the hairdresser discreetly pin some of it so it wouldn't flop over my face.
  • Up.  I live in FL, and my hair doesn't like the humidity here.  I would look like a frizz ball by the end of the night!
  • up in a low chignon. I'll be getting married outdoors in May in Central Texas, where I'm looking at 90 degrees and 100% humidity. my hair will flatten and frizz (yes, both) and it will stick to my neck and back if I leave it down.

you can use the weather in your area at the time of your wedding to help you decide. also, what do you usually do with your hair? do you tend to wear it down all the time, or up? do you start the day with your hair down, then put it up later (that's what I do)? look at the hairstyles on projectwedding.com and just save some that catch your eye, whether they are up or down.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • I had mine up in a low chignon. I didn't want to deal with my hair the day of the wedding. Dancing, etc.

~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • up.. I think it depends on your dress and your jewelry as to which way you wear your hair. I'm wearing a strapless gown with a big necklace and stud earrings so I want my hair up.. plus I won't have to worry about it falling flat or curls coming loose etc
  • I'm planning on wearing mine half up and half down...best of both worlds!!

"This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood - finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without." ? Jodi Picoult Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • im kinda short so i am gonna do half and half...itll look great..i have a strapless ballgown so itll drape against my back
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Make sure that you stick with how you normally wear your hair. If you normally have it down, keep it down. Otherwise, you risk not looking like yourself - which I've seen happen at soooo many weddings.
     If you regularly do both, down loses it's curls but can easily be put into a cute messy bun, if needed at the reception.
    http://mrsdanielparsons.weebly.com Can't figure out the HTML stuff ^^ That's my bio!
  • At the moment I think up, cause I live in Florida where it is almost always warm.... I love my hair down, but I want my hair to look all day.
  • I'm wearing it up for 3 reasons:
    1) It's straight, and cannot hold a curl.  I don't want helmet head with how much hairspray it would take.
    2) It will be summer, and I don't want my long hair to cause me to overheat or sweat (which brings us back to the hairspray... I don't want to be a sticky mess either).
    3) I usually wear it up, and I want to look like myself.

I want a chingon, or something similar, with the veil coming out of the bottom and a flower clip on one side.

I suppose my decision came down to three factors: time of year (if it were winter, it would absolutely be at least partially down), hair texture/ease of styling, and how I normally like it.

Go through some pictures too, and see which styles you like.  That helped me narrow it down, and figure out how to replicate the accessories DIY style!
  • up...i get so hot with my hair down when i dance
  • I wore mine half up but I regret not wearing it all up in a more sleek looking way.
    KRHagen November 2009
  • I will be wearing mine down, but pulled back a bit on the sides. Everyone thinks I'm crazy, because it will be August in Louisville, KY - But I wear it down all the time and up will just look unnatural for me.  You have to do what you feel most comfortable with. 
  • Down. I'm not wearing a veil and my dress is heavily accented and beaded so my hair is going to be my veil. I also wear my hair down all the time and it has gotten so long (and is very good to me!) and I want to show it off.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I will either wear my hair down, or half up and half down. Ever since I got my head stuck in the rails of our bunkbead as a kid I've been very self conscious about my big head so I really dont like it up that often. lol
  • Up and out of my face and neck.  The wedding is in August and I don't want to feel hot and sweaty when I go dancing all night. 
  • I wore mine down in loose curls and definitely don't regret it! I wouldn't have had it any other way. we had an august wedding but it was perfectly fine the entire night. my husband loves my hair down, plus  I never wear my hair up , so why do it on the big day?!
  • Find pictures of up and down styles that you like, and have your hairdresser or whoever is doing your hair do a trial run of both.  That way you can see what it looks like ON YOU not on the model. That's what I did and what looks great on some models does NOT look good on me. :)

• When in doubt, go half up - half down! Good luck!
  • My wedding is in South Florida so i decided to wear it up. I have a halter style gown that is low cut in the back, and since i am getting married on the water and have a tropical theme going , i matched it with my theme!
  • Wow! I just read everyone's responses! Thanks guys. I actually decided I am now going to wear it up. My fiance said he loves my hair up. I always wear it up but my best friend also said you have to wear it up, that's you!!! LOL So I am getting married in the winter & it's going to be freezing but I will suck it up!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ha, I'm getting married in Chicago in a month and a half (talk about freezing!), and I'm going to wear my hair up because my dress is pretty formal.  I'm going to do a modern French twist (not really sure what that means, but my stylist has an idea, guess I'll just have to wail until the trial).  I'll probably accent it with some kind of crystal comb or something to go with my cathedral length veil.
    image "Always love. Don't wail til the finish line."-Nada Surf
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards